image description

MANUAL SUGGESTIONS - MISSING IN THE MANUAL? POST IT <HERE>
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Author
Message
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

While most of the Studio One Reference Manual is well documented and provides necessary information, due to continued improvements and enhancements, there are some items missing which were developed after the manual was written. There are also various items that never made it into the manual and here's where we can participate in an effort to make the manual more complete.

Don't place Feature Requests here, unless such requests or suggestions pertain to the manual itself.

Please help in your improvement request by: (Please try to be brief, and list the subject or condition first, and solution last)
>Missing Items, features, or content that are in Studio One, but are not in the manual.
>Words, or searches to improve subject matter, or that were discovered to be missing when searching the manual.
>An item which was difficult to locate in the manual or program
>Items which could be enhanced graphically, or presented more clearly.
>Provide descriptions or content not fully understood.
>Other miscellaneous observations or suggestions related to the manual.

Let's help improve the reference manual where we can by posting any missed items in one place. Hopefully here.

A typical manual request format could look like:

[Condition] What was found to be an issue.
[Description or occurrence] Self explanatory. Explain observation.
[Recommend] suggestions to directly improve the condition.

This doesn't have to be the format, but it would allow Presonus and other users to scan the thread and topics easier. Also it would prevent redundancy as well.

Perhaps some of us have found issues with the manual, yet did not go into details specific to the manual or notify Presonus about them. This post will be a place going forward to quickly place such items in.

PLEASE BE KIND IN YOUR SUGGESTIONS! As the saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than you with do with vinegar."
It's counter productive to be angry and show your displeasure. It's much easier to also understand the condition and solution if we keep topics kind and brief.

Studio One is such an exemplary DAW, and here is our chance to assist in keeping the reference side of the manual as complete as possible. Obviously most of the work will come out of Presonus, but user feedback is always helpful, because we use the program extensively, and undoubtedly play a roll in its development and progress.

Thanks all, and let's see how it goes. I am a user like you, and am hoping this benefits all of us. Please help if you feel inspired to assist. This is your DAW, so here's a chance to help it work for you and others.

Update: In an effort to keep the information as complete as possible, a compilation of the different manuals will be posted in this thread. This will include contributing lists, addendums, and content which should minimize having to reference numerous manuals (though sometimes that must be the case).
Note: The compiled manual provided is in no way to be misconstrued with Presonus' actual Reference Manual or documentation. It is for referencing here as an aid to provide comments in this forum only. Refer to the actual Presonus manual(s) for the released material or publication.

Thanks Scoox for compiling the manuals for reference.
Studio%20One%202%20User%20Guide%20%28merged%29.pdf
 Description Compiled Reference manuals and information (Ref. Only) [Disk] Download
 Filesize 19920 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  117 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 11/05/2014 02:04:20

In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
CTStump
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 25/12/2011 20:58:22
Messages: 1154
Location: Dona Ana, New Mexico, in the U.S.of A.
Offline

A Quick Reference with rich graphic content in a separate PDF would be handy although not necessary it would help with the newcomers. They provided it with the disk set in version 1(not sure with version 2). With each major update it would be easier to update that at least. Incorporate addendum's into the manual as one PDF and replace that with any updates that require it.
Presonus Studio One V2 Pro
Presonus Studio One 1.65 Pro
Sonar 8.5.3
Project 5 V2
Adobe Audition 3.01
Samplitude 6
Windows Vista X64
Various old Musical toys
My Macro's Kit "C.T.'s MIDI Pattern Builder Kit" Thread:
http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/31843.page
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Subject: Use of graphics reduced for some reason compared to earlier manual versions.

Findings: Manual version 1 and 1.5 had many graphics supplied in most every page actually, and when 2.0 was released, graphics even on the same subjects went away. Hope there is a return for more screen shots with leaders and arrows (if necessary) to support some of the content.

Suggestion: More Graphic images and screen shots.

P.s. Great find CT, and thanks! I think it would be tremendous if we get jpettit to add his block diagram at this time. It's a fabulous reference, and he could tweak it as necessary if posted early on. I could post his last diagram sent as an added attachment in the original post. I suspect he'd be all for it. : )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/05/2014 00:06:42

In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Condition: missing wording such as "Goto", "Next Event" and "Previous event" where such features exist.

When relocating the song pointer to the loop start, (goto loop start), or Loop end (goto loop end) have short cut commands Numpad 1 and Numpad 2 respectively. There is little in the manual on this if searching for those commands that reside in the menu.

When searching the manual (using Control + F), there are next to no ways to find the shortcut for "goto loop start", "goto loop end", not even "goto loop", "numpad1", or "numpad2". In fact, there's only one "Goto" in the manual at page 143 for navigating to markers (9.7.2).

Yet, in the program under Transport>Goto Loop Start (Numpad1) and Goto Loop End (Numpad2) are shown.

Finding such words and shortcuts in the manual are not to be found.

Obviously a snag for beginners but just noting the missing content.

Additionally, items like "Goto Next event" and "Goto Previous Event" also under Transport>Next Event (Shift+Alt+N) and Shift+Alt+B) would also not be found with the "Goto command". Searching in the manual for "Previous Event" turns up nothing. Searching for "Next Event" is only found in the Studio One 2 Manual addendum (page 2 under a different topic which is Legato and Overlap correction for the Music Editor.

Suggestion: Better descriptions like "Goto", "Next Event" and "Previous Event" when such items are presented in the program but not to be found anywhere in the manual.

Numerous condition issue, so sorry for the lengthy description.
In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Condition: No "revert" when searching in manual.

This pertains to File>Revert which is important way to handle songs at times.
Control+F search only produces the word "revert" at 6.11.2 (Render Event Effects).
A different subject.

Therefore no description on File>Revert

Suggestion: Please add, and describe the condition of Revert, under file saving.

Note: This is all I am adding at this time, to see if the formatting works ok.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/05/2014 02:44:35

In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
mistere
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 31/12/2010 17:33:49
Messages: 224
Location: Denver, Colorado USA
Offline

Just posting to say I support this project and want to and will help but this week is too crazy. If I think of something quick I'll note it here but I can't get compulsive for a little while.
Custom PC with Asus P8P67 mobo | i2500K CPU | 16 GB Corsair memory | Corsair HX750 PS | Samsung 840 Pro OS drive | WD Black Audio drive | Win 7 64-bit | Mackie Onyx Blackbird | Presonus Eureka | Stellar CM6 mic | Avantone CK-40 stereo mic | S1 2.6 | PT 11 | Roland Jupiter 50 | PRS Custom 24 | Scuffham S-Gear amp modeler | SSD4 Platinum | Vocalign Project 3 | '64 Martin D18 | Presonus Monitor Station | Behringer Truth B3031A monitors | 2 Himalayan cats.
[WWW]
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Thank you mistere. we all have things going on so the thread is here (or a few pages back) for convenience. No probs with the formatting either, as people only need to drop in what they feel they need to say. It's really a pool of notifications, thoughts, and suggestions to the manual.

Thanks for all of your help in and around the forums. Always enjoy reading your take on things.
A thanks ahead to all as well, as this Forum is really all about a lot of help for people by people in so many ways.
In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
tvaudioman
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 27/07/2012 18:40:08
Messages: 85
Location: Mississippi
Offline

I know this i a minor one, but no description or mention at all of "Normalize." The word is no where in the manual.

I know what normalize is. But I was looking to see if there were variable parameters of the normalize feature.
PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2
Win Vista laptop (I know, I want a Mac)

My other console is a Calrec Apollo
A1 for Live remote sports broadcast (ESPN, CBS, etc.)
[WWW]
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 24/02/2011 21:30:31
Messages: 3219
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.
Offline

An all encompassing Glossary of Terms used in the manual. I know it affected me in the beginning, and I see many new users that can't find something due to not knowing the term that is used. Something like that is a simple fix, and the terms used would rarely change.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 19/02/2011 12:02:34
Messages: 8233
Offline

Lokeyfly wrote:Condition: No "revert" when searching in manual.

Good stuff. Some of this stuff makes me wonder about the viability of tooltips for menus.

If you guys want, we can collaborate and create a "Menu Reference" PDF that lists every menu item and explains what the function does. If we each take one main menu and do everything in it, it shouldn't be that hard.

Then we can ask one of the mod dudes to make it a sticky maybe, the link to it, for newbs. Or... maybe we can do it as HTML instead of PDF.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/05/2014 21:30:19

Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Lokeyfly wrote:
Condition: No "revert" when searching in manual.

LMike response: Good stuff. Some of this stuff makes me wonder about the viability of tooltips for menus.

If you guys want, we can collaborate and create a "Menu Reference" PDF that lists every menu item and explains what the function does. If we each take one main menu and do everything in it, it shouldn't be that hard.

Then we can ask one of the mod dudes to make it a sticky maybe, the link to it, for newbs. Or... maybe we can do it as HTML instead of PDF.

Nice! Would be beneficial to newbies and to everyone on a whole.

Just typing while I think so feel free to stop me
The menu topics are covered for the most part. It may only require as you say a few to buzz through each of the mains and see what's actually missing even for example the name itself (as was the case with revert). It may be worth even then when completed with each main menu listing to report back in order to post and highlight what's actually missing (possibly in red), and what was found to be light on detail (orange). Then we have an at-a-glance look at where the energy is going, and those people can tackle the various subjects, or ask for assistance. Even an item or two can be challenging, for some. As long as the path is doable for others, then great.

The advantage to pulling it back first and looking at what is missing (or light in detail) is that to explain "what the function does" could be pretty deep or too large an undertaking by users technically writing that is (is my guess, respectfully). If I'm misreading the intention, let me know.

The nice part is it wont effect the energy going on in this post. Any user who wish to contribute can do so right here by continuing to add their findings. People sometimes interpret or express their findings differently so some can target the menu, and some can target, well.....anything.

The main menu is a good target. At least in a general and practical sense, because it is also sort of a general table of contents in itself.
**I'll replace this with a finding later.** Lot's to cover and it will take a little time, to be sure.

**Quick edit** Sorry, felt it was good to mention that your contributions LMike are very informative so I thought it appropriate to convey that. I hope that this thread be for the simple ease for users to feel engaged in helping in their own way as well. It's just nice and easy to pile the goods in and have it sorted on Presonus' end. I suspect that will help a lot. Thanks for the idea on targeting the menus. I'll post the menu items as a start, and let's see what the response is.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/05/2014 08:56:17

In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 19/02/2011 12:02:34
Messages: 8233
Offline

Here's my contribution linked below. I did the first two menus, File and Edit. You guys can do the rest, and/or also correct whatever needs correcting in what I did there.

It would be nice to have something like this on a Wiki page but it kept rejecting it when I tried to do that so... I went to Google Docs I hope it's somewhat useful... the two menus I did anyway.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xz0vAhNdKIUpL-JwbfhaJSGhgqPewqnEVXdBiy_xoBk/edit
Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 19/02/2011 12:02:34
Messages: 8233
Offline

The menu topics are covered for the most part.

Well... I only went there because (IIRC?) someone directly asked about Revert (?), and said it wasn't in the manual, and I suppose he doesn't actually know what it does.

Otherwise, I'd never have even went there.
Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Condition: Just an example of where a helpful tip could be beneficial.

The performance monitor is helpful especially when resources are being taxed. It would be helpful for users to know they can sort by CPU, by clicking at "CPU" to easily view what devices are producing the highest load and in which order.

I've pointed this out to some asking, several times and they had no idea this was possible.

Adding a Performance Meter image would be beneficial, IMO
Below showing standard image sorted by Name.

Suggestion: Add tip showing order of CPU by "Tip" block or image. (See attached).
Performance Mon - CPU_1.jpg
[Thumb - Performance Mon - CPU_1.jpg]
 Description Performance Monitor (Order by CPU) [Disk] Download
 Filesize 45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  398 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/05/2014 05:32:31

In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha
Lokeyfly
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/06/2012 08:31:19
Messages: 1379
Location: N.Y.C.
Offline

Condition: Cursor Follows Edit Position

With all do respect, some designations in Studio One do not maintain the same designation within the manual. This makes it difficult to look up such items for more information. For example: Cursor Follows Edit Position.
The function is called exactly this at the Toolbar at top, and also listed in the Menu under Options>Cursor Follows Edit Position.

Suggestion: Why not where this is found in the manual at 6.4.9.3 "Follow Song and Follow Edit Position" Simply add (Cursor Follows Edit Position) in parenthesis to assist in correlating the menu to the functions.

In other words: (preferred)
6.4.9.3 Follow Song and Follow Edit Position (Cursor Follows Edit Position)

The manual and descriptions are technically very good, the use of same context wording (where possible) would help users when referencing the manual. Particularly when using the find/search function.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/05/2014 06:37:36

In the words of the late great Graucho Marx "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

S1 Pro 2.5, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8Gb, Win 7 X64, SP1. Supporting software, too much to list. Audio Interface: 22 VSL, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Controllers: Novation SL Mk II, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers by Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad II, Akai MPD-18. Guitars by: Fender, Gibson, Gretch, Guild, Martin, Taylor, & Yamaha

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: