image description


GROUP MIX #3
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Message
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 19/02/2011 12:02:34
Messages: 8233
Offline

Here ya go Gizz, "Sing With Me"...

Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
2cthetruth
Presonic

Joined: 09/02/2011 09:25:20
Messages: 323
Offline

Gizz, is there someway you can stick this thread to the first page so it doesn't get buried, and new comers or people who don't log on everyday, will know it exists? Thanks.
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

2cthetruth wrote:Gizz, is there someway you can stick this thread to the first page so it doesn't get buried, and new comers or people who don't log on everyday, will know it exists? Thanks.


I don't have moderator status so I can't do it myself.
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
tiainari
Prenoob

Joined: 28/07/2010 20:29:43
Messages: 19
Offline

Hi,

here is my version of Come Around. Nothing left out, nothing added.

S1 Pro 2.04 x64 | Win 7/64 | Asus P5Q | Core2 Q6600 | 8GB
SPL Gainstation 1 AD | RME FF400 | LavryBlack DA10, Genelec, Avantone
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

tiainari wrote:Hi,

here is my version of Come Around. Nothing left out, nothing added.



Good stuff, I like your treatment on the instrumental parts of the song. I am, however, hearing a bit of distortion on the vocal. I suspect it's either clipping the master out, or you've applied compression in a such a way as to cause some hard clipping of the track. The vocal is pretty forward in your mix, so on my rig it sounds a bit loud compared to your instrumental section (as a matter of fact your whole mix is a tad bit louder than the others, your average volume is sitting at around -5 DB, so it's pretty "crushed"). You can see here, a comparison.
Comparison.jpg
[Thumb - Comparison.jpg]
 Description Comparison [Disk] Download
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  304 time(s)

Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
tiainari
Prenoob

Joined: 28/07/2010 20:29:43
Messages: 19
Offline

Gizzmo0815 wrote:

Good stuff, I like your treatment on the instrumental parts of the song. I am, however, hearing a bit of distortion on the vocal. I suspect it's either clipping the master out, or you've applied compression in a such a way as to cause some hard clipping of the track. The vocal is pretty forward in your mix, so on my rig it sounds a bit loud compared to your instrumental section (as a matter of fact your whole mix is a tad bit louder than the others, your average volume is sitting at around -5 DB, so it's pretty "crushed").


First of all, thank you for setting up this little excercise. This was my first mix with S1, the mix itself wasn't too bad, but this "master" is a total joke. It is really surprising how easy it is to make it too hot, never had this "problem" before with other tools. I'll create a new version later today. Thanks for feedback.
S1 Pro 2.04 x64 | Win 7/64 | Asus P5Q | Core2 Q6600 | 8GB
SPL Gainstation 1 AD | RME FF400 | LavryBlack DA10, Genelec, Avantone
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

tiainari wrote:
Gizzmo0815 wrote:

Good stuff, I like your treatment on the instrumental parts of the song. I am, however, hearing a bit of distortion on the vocal. I suspect it's either clipping the master out, or you've applied compression in a such a way as to cause some hard clipping of the track. The vocal is pretty forward in your mix, so on my rig it sounds a bit loud compared to your instrumental section (as a matter of fact your whole mix is a tad bit louder than the others, your average volume is sitting at around -5 DB, so it's pretty "crushed").


First of all, thank you for setting up this little excercise. This was my first mix with S1, the mix itself wasn't too bad, but this "master" is a total joke. It is really surprising how easy it is to make it too hot, never had this "problem" before with other tools. I'll create a new version later today. Thanks for feedback.


Absolutely, I love doing these things, I learn so much by listening to how others approach the same mix. And don't take my critique harshly, your mix had goodness in it, just open up the dynamics a bit and reduce the volume a tad.
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
2cthetruth
Presonic

Joined: 09/02/2011 09:25:20
Messages: 323
Offline

Gizz, maybe you could post a "group mix" every quarter or so? This is what Studio One is for (mixing, mastering), so in my opinion, this should become a permanent item of this forum as with an integrated "user operated" live streaming/ chat type of thingy. It would be a great interactive way for people to learn how to use their daw (the technical stuff), AND mix/master. People wouldn't have to search the web to get to a live chat.. they could just come here!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/03/2012 07:10:11

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
2cthetruth
Presonic

Joined: 09/02/2011 09:25:20
Messages: 323
Offline

Could a Presonus moderator please make this thread a sticky and consider the previous post? Thanks!
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/04/2010 05:42:47
Messages: 8703
Location: Wheeling IL (North Chicago Suburbs)
Offline


Even better, how about Presonus adding a Forum category just for this and give Gizzz or someone moderator options so we can choose what's a sticky and what's not. Maybe a sub category for Studio One General Discussion?

I could set something up easily on my forums bit no one really goes there. But I do think Presonus should consider this, rather than just another sticky.

Just thinking out loud!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/03/2012 23:44:54


http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

themuzic wrote:
Even better, how about Presonus adding a Forum category just for this and give Gizzz or someone moderator options so we can choose what's a sticky and what's not. Maybe a sub category for Studio One General Discussion?

I could set something up easily on my forums bit no one really goes there. But I do think Presonus should consider this, rather than just another sticky.

Just thinking out loud!


I'll do as many of these as people want. As long as I have fresh tracks, I'll keep moderating the threads for group mixes.

Don't forget. Next Sunday 6 pm CST will be a live broadcast where we can chat about the mixes in this thread.
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
2cthetruth
Presonic

Joined: 09/02/2011 09:25:20
Messages: 323
Offline

themuzic wrote:
Even better, how about Presonus adding a Forum category just for this and give Gizzz or someone moderator options so we can choose what's a sticky and what's not. Maybe a sub category for Studio One General Discussion?

I could set something up easily on my forums bit no one really goes there. But I do think Presonus should consider this, rather than just another sticky.

Just thinking out loud!



Bingo!
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
2cthetruth
Presonic

Joined: 09/02/2011 09:25:20
Messages: 323
Offline

crow wrote:why not take one of my tracks that would be cool and its hiphop


Hey, I'll take a shot at mixing one of your songs. Just let me know!
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
2cthetruth
Presonic

Joined: 09/02/2011 09:25:20
Messages: 323
Offline

...Also, maybe Presonus could offer prizes for the voters pick of the best mix done in Studio One! Rick? Jonathan? You hearing this? It would be a great way to draw in potential customers, showcase S1's capabilities, and give everyone else an awesome event to look forward to ( besides the updates/upgrades of course )!

OK, I'll let it go now until hopefully someone else chimes in .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/03/2012 06:41:34

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel 2500k
Asus P8p67 M/B
8 Gig RAM
Studio One 64 Bit
Echo Gina G3 Interface
twoifbysea
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/01/2011 20:11:39
Messages: 133
Location: Northern California
Offline

I love this thread! I've spent the better part of the day playing with "come around". Not in S1, but in the X1D version of Sonar. I know, what am I thinking? Well, I paid good money for X1 but have so far been unable to use it for anything that I care about due to regular crashes. With the new X1D update that came out yesterday I thought I'd give it one more try. I've actually been pleasantly surprised. No crashes or hang ups so far. That said, it's still no replacement for the ease and smoothness of S1 V2.
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450t : Intel Core i7 870 2.93 GHz : Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit : 8 gig RAM : Presonus Studio One Pro V2.6 64 bit : Presonus Firebox : Presonus Faderport : M-Audio Axiom 49 Midi Keyboard
 
Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: