image description


Using video cam with Studio Live 16.4.2
  Forum Index » How do I (You fill in the blank)? 
Author
Message
paulr65
Prenoob

Joined: 08/12/2013 03:48:07
Messages: 1
Offline

What is the best way to hook up a consumer grade video camera to get audio for the video. I have a Canon Vixiz hf 200 and shoot video for a church worship service. I get good sound just with the camera mic but also get background sounds.
andguent
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 22/02/2013 06:54:29
Messages: 98
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Offline

As per:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/flash_memory_camcorders/vixia_hf200#Specifications

It looks like you have a standard 3.5 MM "headphone" jack to use as a mic in. I would find an RCA to 1/8 cable and just do a quick test from the board's tape out to the camera's mic in.

Something like this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMR2

If that works, then you can try Aux outs for a more custom mix as needed. You can get a pair of 1/4 M to RCA F adapters to throw on the end of your cable there.

This of course all means the camera is now chained to the board.
Church gear: SL 32.4.2AI, MacBook Pro 13" 2.5Ghz i5, iPad 2, 4x Sennheiser ew100 G3, 3x Yamaha SM12V wedges, crummy main speakers
richrodny
Prenoob

Joined: 22/09/2013 21:50:32
Messages: 10
Offline

andguent wrote:As per:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/flash_memory_camcorders/vixia_hf200#Specifications

It looks like you have a standard 3.5 MM "headphone" jack to use as a mic in. I would find an RCA to 1/8 cable and just do a quick test from the board's tape out to the camera's mic in.

Something like this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMR2

If that works, then you can try Aux outs for a more custom mix as needed. You can get a pair of 1/4 M to RCA F adapters to throw on the end of your cable there.

This of course all means the camera is now chained to the board.


I have a Canon XA20 with XLR in how can I do it with this camera for the same purpose to record a worship service and sermon...

Thanks
andguent
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 22/02/2013 06:54:29
Messages: 98
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Offline

You probably have a couple options. I'm no expert on camera hookups though.

Options off the top of my head from simple to complicated:
* XLR cable from board mono out to camera
* 1/4->XLR balanced cable from either aux or sub out to camera
* 1/4 balanced cable from either aux or sub out to external EQ, EQ XLR out to to camera
* Any of the above options connected to snake speaker send XLR if you have it, snake box to camera
* Any of the above options connected to snake channel return XLR with a XLR F2F gender changer, snake box to XLR M2M gender changer, XLR cable to camera

The more adapters and joints you have, the greater potential for problems. Keeping everything running over a balanced signal should eliminate most problems though.
Church gear: SL 32.4.2AI, MacBook Pro 13" 2.5Ghz i5, iPad 2, 4x Sennheiser ew100 G3, 3x Yamaha SM12V wedges, crummy main speakers
richrodny
Prenoob

Joined: 22/09/2013 21:50:32
Messages: 10
Offline

andguent wrote:You probably have a couple options. I'm no expert on camera hookups though.

Options off the top of my head from simple to complicated:
* XLR cable from board mono out to camera
* 1/4->XLR balanced cable from either aux or sub out to camera
* 1/4 balanced cable from either aux or sub out to external EQ, EQ XLR out to to camera
* Any of the above options connected to snake speaker send XLR if you have it, snake box to camera
* Any of the above options connected to snake channel return XLR with a XLR F2F gender changer, snake box to XLR M2M gender changer, XLR cable to camera

The more adapters and joints you have, the greater potential for problems. Keeping everything running over a balanced signal should eliminate most problems though.


Thanks will look into those options and let you know how it goes!
richrodny
Prenoob

Joined: 22/09/2013 21:50:32
Messages: 10
Offline

richrodny wrote:
andguent wrote:You probably have a couple options. I'm no expert on camera hookups though.

Options off the top of my head from simple to complicated:
* XLR cable from board mono out to camera
* 1/4->XLR balanced cable from either aux or sub out to camera
* 1/4 balanced cable from either aux or sub out to external EQ, EQ XLR out to to camera
* Any of the above options connected to snake speaker send XLR if you have it, snake box to camera
* Any of the above options connected to snake channel return XLR with a XLR F2F gender changer, snake box to XLR M2M gender changer, XLR cable to camera

The more adapters and joints you have, the greater potential for problems. Keeping everything running over a balanced signal should eliminate most problems though.


Thanks will look into those options and let you know how it goes!


OK so I have tried the XLR cable from board mono out to camera and in post although clear audio I'm also getting a high hiss when I raise the volume, is there something you can suggest?

Thanks
Rich
andguent
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 22/02/2013 06:54:29
Messages: 98
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Offline

Where are you raising the volume at? I'm going to assume you are raising it on the camera.

The mono out section of the board has a trim knob. Try SLOWLY increasing that and see if you can get good volume without too much hiss.

If you still have problems after that, you might be getting hiss into the board. I'd grab a pair of headphones and solo up each channel to see if something is giving you a hissing input. If so, that channel needs some gating. If that still doesn't help, then your overall board gain structure may be a problem, but that isn't a quick fix.
Church gear: SL 32.4.2AI, MacBook Pro 13" 2.5Ghz i5, iPad 2, 4x Sennheiser ew100 G3, 3x Yamaha SM12V wedges, crummy main speakers
richrodny
Prenoob

Joined: 22/09/2013 21:50:32
Messages: 10
Offline

andguent wrote:Where are you raising the volume at? I'm going to assume you are raising it on the camera.

The mono out section of the board has a trim knob. Try SLOWLY increasing that and see if you can get good volume without too much hiss.

If you still have problems after that, you might be getting hiss into the board. I'd grab a pair of headphones and solo up each channel to see if something is giving you a hissing input. If so, that channel needs some gating. If that still doesn't help, then your overall board gain structure may be a problem, but that isn't a quick fix.


Thanks will look into those options...

Rich
 
Forum Index » How do I (You fill in the blank)?
Go to: