image description


GROUP MIX #1 - "Outpost" by The Panda Thief
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Message
AudioCave
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 22/04/2009 13:02:36
Messages: 2325
Offline

themuzic wrote:Holy crap man!!! Awesome mix!! Thanx for setting the bar so high

I'm gonna have to really come up with something different. All the mixes sound so good so far. Thanx for sharing everyone!


Thanks man. I actually have no idea how it translates since I haven't even heard it in the real world yet, like in my Jeep. I have become really familiar with the AV-30's though (I love those little $99 speakers) but I can do better work on the Dynaudio BM5a's in the studio and hear/judge the low end much better having a KRK sub there.

But... I never power that stuff up (digital console, Lavry converters, master clock, etc, etc, etc) unless I'm getting paid to record or mix. So for a lot of stuff it's the FSMobile, AV-30's, Sony MDR 7506 phones, and iPhone ear buds. It's why I often "preface" things like this by specifically saying "rough mix, untreated room, yada, yada, yada" so nobody thinks that any of that stuff is coming from the studio.

Anyway, what's striking to me is how good the FSMobile's DA converter is. Switching to my internal audio card for monitoring, which is actually a pretty good audio card that goes to 96k, sound easily much worse.

Look forward to hearing the rest of the rough mixes.

P.S. If there's anyone here who is a fantastic mix engineer it's MY. His commercial mixes are spectacular.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 16/12/2010 16:43:39

Win 7 Desktop: I7 860 | 2.8 ghz | 8 gb ram | W7 Home Premium 64
The Audio Cave Website

Studio One Pro • Mackie d8b • Dynaudio BM5a's • M-Audio Audiophile AV30's • KRok Rokit 10s Sub • MOTU 2408 MK3 • Lavry Blue / Black ADA • AT 4050/CM5 • MXL V69 ME • Rode NTK • Oktava MC-012's • Shure Beta 52 • SM57's • Grace M101 • DBX 576 • Summit Audio TLA 50 • Art Pro VLA • Art Tube Pres • PreSonus DigiMax LT • Sony MDR 7506's • PreSonus ACP 88 • Behringer ADA 8000 • Firestudio Mobile • Altiverb 5 • Kontakt 4 - BFD / EZD • Roland D5 • Fender Jazz Bass
david severson
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 13/08/2010 07:48:15
Messages: 18
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Offline

Kudos to everyone so far for putting in their two cents! It takes guts to post stuff on the internet and put you name on it. I was really surprised by the mixes as they had a vast difference between them.

I'm a hobby guy that loves goofing around with audio, I have done this for years and do you guys remember that program N-Track..That was first program that I started to use.

I found the tracks well recorded and fairly punchy to begin with.I started with the drums to get a good level . I use Superior drummer 2.0 so going to the live drum kit is a whole different beast. .I broke the drums down to groups inside of the drum bus that way if I can adjust things if needed ..I use alot of compression and that maybe the deal breaker..I still need to understand and better use it. Obviously compression can take the life out of something or add it, I'm trying to find the balance.

The guitars seemed to be tracked in threes. I also created groups for them and panned two of the three had left/right and kept one up the middle.

The bass guitar( bass frequency in general) is always a challenge for me. I'm still trying to figure that out on my Genelecs as they are new addition to my studio. So in the interim I've added a crappy Sony boom box which I can compare on.

Vox seemed pretty clear and again I used compression to keep the levels consistent (maybe too consistent) and eq to taste.

I didn't use much in the means in automation except near the end with that synth alien sound..

Finally I used Ozone 4 limiter to bring the overall level up.

That's about it! I also recommend reading The Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski and Mastering Audio by Bob Katz. I found an enormous amount tips and information in these books.

Cheers,

David



4 Firestudio Projects
1 Firestudio Mobile
1 Presonus Channel Strip
1 Tube Pre
Studio One Pro
Genelec 8050 monitors
i7 950 3.07GHz Desktop 12 Gigs of ram
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Axiom 25
RME UFX
[WWW]
nturner4
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:45:14
Messages: 85
Location: Morristown , Indiana
Offline

Ok let me try this again sorry for the bad link. As it would have it, I needed to make few adjustments to make anyway. http://soundcloud.com/nturner4/01-unknown-artist-out-post-mix-by-nturner4

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/12/2010 18:27:04

Antec 9 case
AMD dual core 5600 o/c'd 3.2 ghz
Asus M2N 32 SLI mb
4 gig ram
8800GTX ultra vc
Windows XP 32bit
HannsG-28 lcd
Dell 17" lcd

PreSonus Eris 8's
Presonus StudioOne Pro DAW 2.6
PreSonus FireStudio 26x26
Behringer Ultragain Pro 8
Behringer Powerplay Pro XL
PreSonus Eris E8 Monitors
Rode nt-1a
tomorrowstk
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 11/11/2010 03:14:29
Messages: 121
Offline

I did a quick mix on a different track you had listed. Strange Faces i think. Anyhoo here is a quick mix. All I had was earbuds to monitor on. http://soundcloud.com/tomorrowstk/strangefaces-testmix

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/travis-knight-p94613/credits
nturner4
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:45:14
Messages: 85
Location: Morristown , Indiana
Offline

Had to give this a bump, hopefully more will give it a try.
Antec 9 case
AMD dual core 5600 o/c'd 3.2 ghz
Asus M2N 32 SLI mb
4 gig ram
8800GTX ultra vc
Windows XP 32bit
HannsG-28 lcd
Dell 17" lcd

PreSonus Eris 8's
Presonus StudioOne Pro DAW 2.6
PreSonus FireStudio 26x26
Behringer Ultragain Pro 8
Behringer Powerplay Pro XL
PreSonus Eris E8 Monitors
Rode nt-1a
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

Ok so here's my mix:

http://www.box.net/shared/3yj5rr35t9

I noticed that the tendency was to go with a pretty good amount of reverb on the mixes, including the mix that the band chose for their Bandcamp page. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. I think that's one of the benefits of doing this type of thing. You see how other people view the music. The lead vocals in mine are much more dry, and I tried to keep the mix a lot more tight.

Also I took a bit of artistic liberty with that "Metal" track. I simply hated how it sounded and couldn't make it fit, so I replaced it with a shaker (from one of the S1 Impact kits) with a groove delay on it. I think it's more subtle and fits into that part of the song better.

I found that the harmonies were very interesting to work with. There are a few sour notes that can be corrected, but I didn't go overboard with that because honestly, the singer's character comes a little bit from his imperfect tone. But balancing the harmonies and making them support the lead vocal, especially through the heavier parts was quite fun. All in all I think that whoever tracked this did a really great job as it was pretty easy to find a good niche for each part.

I also liked playing with the guitars a bit and bouncing them around the stereo field to give it a little bit of space instead of using reverb.

Anyhow...I hope you like it, I can certainly upload my project file if anyone's interested. And please don't hold back if there's some part of it that you want to comment on. It's all about learning!!

Thanks for playing gentlemen, it's been fun and this can be done as many times as we like. I'll keep collecting posts at the top as long as they keep rolling in.

Cheers and beers!

- Giz

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/12/2010 06:09:42

Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/04/2010 05:42:47
Messages: 8703
Location: Wheeling IL (North Chicago Suburbs)
Offline

Gizzmo0815 wrote:Ok so here's my mix:

http://www.box.net/shared/3yj5rr35t9

I noticed that the tendency was to go with a pretty good amount of reverb on the mixes, including the mix that the band chose for their Bandcamp page. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. I think that's one of the benefits of doing this type of thing. You see how other people view the music. The lead vocals in mine are much more dry, and I tried to keep the mix a lot more tight.

Also I took a bit of artistic liberty with that "Metal" track. I simply hated how it sounded and couldn't make it fit, so I replaced it with a shaker (from one of the S1 Impact kits) with a groove delay on it. I think it's more subtle and fits into that part of the song better.

I found that the harmonies were very interesting to work with. There are a few sour notes that can be corrected, but I didn't go overboard with that because honestly, the singer's character comes a little bit from his imperfect tone. But balancing the harmonies and making them support the lead vocal, especially through the heavier parts was quite fun. All in all I think that whoever tracked this did a really great job as it was pretty easy to find a good niche for each part.

I also liked playing with the guitars a bit and bouncing them around the stereo field to give it a little bit of space instead of using reverb.

Anyhow...I hope you like it, I can certainly upload my project file if anyone's interested. And please don't hold back if there's some part of it that you want to comment on. It's all about learning!!

Thanks for playing gentlemen, it's been fun and this can be done as many times as we like. I'll keep collecting posts at the top as long as they keep rolling in.

Cheers and beers!

- Giz


Awesome mix!! This was the direction I was going to go with mine. Unfortunately I called our on the road and won't be back till morning. But I'll get mine done hopefully soon.

Nice work.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
BoSchafers
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 17:31:50
Messages: 644
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Offline

I'm pretty much a novice at this this, so I've just been listening and reading with keen interest...

Gizzmo0815 wrote:Anyhow...I hope you like it, I can certainly upload my project file if anyone's interested.


I like yours best. In the end it comes down to taste I guess. The others too are pretty sweet in their ways. I'd be keen to see how you've done it...
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3 i7 8G Latest OSX
UAD Apollo Twin Duo, Axiom 49, KRK Monitors, Rode NT 2 A
Latest: Logic Pro X, Reason, Protools, Studio One Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender USA Tele, Strat & Jazz Bass
Martin D15 Acoustic
Roland HD-1 Drums
Kaila Uke
My Soundcloud
Humanity cannot bear very much reality- T.S Eliot
[WWW]
AudioCave
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 22/04/2009 13:02:36
Messages: 2325
Offline

Gizzmo0815 wrote:Ok so here's my mix:
- Giz


I've only heard it on iPhone buds so far but it sounds really good. I like it a lot. Good stuff.
Win 7 Desktop: I7 860 | 2.8 ghz | 8 gb ram | W7 Home Premium 64
The Audio Cave Website

Studio One Pro • Mackie d8b • Dynaudio BM5a's • M-Audio Audiophile AV30's • KRok Rokit 10s Sub • MOTU 2408 MK3 • Lavry Blue / Black ADA • AT 4050/CM5 • MXL V69 ME • Rode NTK • Oktava MC-012's • Shure Beta 52 • SM57's • Grace M101 • DBX 576 • Summit Audio TLA 50 • Art Pro VLA • Art Tube Pres • PreSonus DigiMax LT • Sony MDR 7506's • PreSonus ACP 88 • Behringer ADA 8000 • Firestudio Mobile • Altiverb 5 • Kontakt 4 - BFD / EZD • Roland D5 • Fender Jazz Bass
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

So it looks like this thread has slowed down enough to look at doing another project. I know that there may be others out there still looking at doing a mix for the song (themuzic!) so feel free to continue contributing to this thread with new mixes if you have them.

In the meantime I'll collect some material for the next group mix. If anyone has a preference from this post.

OR if anyone has an original work of their own that they would be willing to submit, please do! The last mix we did was a rock tune, so something different might be good, though it isn't necessary.

If we can decide on a new song to mix here I can start a "Group Mix #2" thread to work on that project with.

Cheers!

- Gizzmo
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/04/2010 05:42:47
Messages: 8703
Location: Wheeling IL (North Chicago Suburbs)
Offline

Gizzmo0815 wrote:So it looks like this thread has slowed down enough to look at doing another project. I know that there may be others out there still looking at doing a mix for the song (themuzic!) so feel free to continue contributing to this thread with new mixes if you have them.

In the meantime I'll collect some material for the next group mix. If anyone has a preference from this post.

OR if anyone has an original work of their own that they would be willing to submit, please do! The last mix we did was a rock tune, so something different might be good, though it isn't necessary.

If we can decide on a new song to mix here I can start a "Group Mix #2" thread to work on that project with.

Cheers!

- Gizzmo


LOL!! Ya got me!! Yeah, I had to get the latest vids out for sticky thread "The Song" so today I'll be doing my mix for this tune. And, a video will be made as I do it! So you'll get to see how I prepare, mix and finalize.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

themuzic wrote:LOL!! Ya got me!! Yeah, I had to get the latest vids out for sticky thread "The Song" so today I'll be doing my mix for this tune. And, a video will be made as I do it! So you'll get to see how I prepare, mix and finalize.


Ha...no pressure bud. I really wanted to do the same for my mix, but life got in the way. I'm going to start doing videos with my next mix. I think it would be fun. What do you use to record your desktop when you do your vids?
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/04/2010 05:42:47
Messages: 8703
Location: Wheeling IL (North Chicago Suburbs)
Offline

Gizzmo0815 wrote:
themuzic wrote:LOL!! Ya got me!! Yeah, I had to get the latest vids out for sticky thread "The Song" so today I'll be doing my mix for this tune. And, a video will be made as I do it! So you'll get to see how I prepare, mix and finalize.


Ha...no pressure bud. I really wanted to do the same for my mix, but life got in the way. I'm going to start doing videos with my next mix. I think it would be fun. What do you use to record your desktop when you do your vids?


Camtasia. It lets me put a live video in and has the zoom point options.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/04/2010 05:42:47
Messages: 8703
Location: Wheeling IL (North Chicago Suburbs)
Offline

Ok, please let me know if I went overboard by doing another video. I really don't wanna burn anyone out here but I did have fun making it. The video shows:

1. Preparing events
2. Coloring\renaming and organizing tracks
3. Grouping and bussing tracks
4. customizing the mixer and creating fader groups

Could be useful but maybe overkill. Let me know please. Not sure if I should make vid a thread of it's own for those not participating in this little project but let me know.



.....or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0TID76OXo

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
Gizzmo0815
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 21:18:43
Messages: 1149
Location: United States
Offline

themuzic wrote:Ok, please let me know if I went overboard by doing another video. I really don't wanna burn anyone out here but I did have fun making it...

Could be useful but maybe overkill. Let me know please. Not sure if I should make vid a thread of it's own for those not participating in this little project but let me know...


Dude, quit worrying! Your stuff is gold, I don't think anyone here would have any problems with your videos, post away. It's what I made the thread for...so we can learn from each other. If you happen to teach via video, then all the more power to you.
Computer: Lenovo y560, 2.0 GHz quad core, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 (x64)
Presonus "Stuff": Studio One Pro, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Studiolive 16.0.2, Faderport
 
Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: