image description


de-essing and meters
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Message
_prophet
Prenoob

Joined: 12/12/2011 12:08:16
Messages: 2
Offline

hi there, I've used Sonar for the past few years, but since X1 this has been a pain in the a*, so I'm in the market for a new DAW. I downloaded Studio One demo and am working on a song, and ran in to some questions:

1. de-essing: I usually do de-essing manually. In X1, I automated the track's gain. How can manual de-essing be done in Studio One?

2. is it possible to change the track meters to show some numerical values, or at least a scale so I can tell where my levels are when recording music?
similar question for the console meters: can they be changed to show the peak level that ocurred during a song?

Thanks!
CubaseUser
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 30/08/2010 23:13:52
Messages: 942
Offline

Studio one has an inbuilt level meter which I add after every plug in that alters gain its incredibly useful
Intel Dual Core 4300
4 gig ram
Asus P4B E
Novation Nocturn
M Audio Keystation Pro 88
Tascam FW1884
KRK Rokit RP 10 3
Roland TD4
two 19" TFT monitors
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 24/02/2011 21:30:31
Messages: 3219
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.
Offline

_prophet wrote:hi there, I've used Sonar for the past few years, but since X1 this has been a pain in the a*, so I'm in the market for a new DAW. I downloaded Studio One demo and am working on a song, and ran in to some questions:

1. de-essing: I usually do de-essing manually. In X1, I automated the track's gain. How can manual de-essing be done in Studio One?

2. is it possible to change the track meters to show some numerical values, or at least a scale so I can tell where my levels are when recording music?
similar question for the console meters: can they be changed to show the peak level that ocurred during a song?

Thanks!


Regarding question 1, there is a great tutorial showing usage of the transform tool for de-essing. It is on the studio 1 v2 product page, look for the video tutorial link.
litesnsirens
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 14/10/2011 19:44:12
Messages: 385
Location: Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Offline

On the console meters the numerical values are at the top of the fader just underneath the pan slider. Fader value on the left pan value on the right. On the inputs, if you have the inputs selected to show up in the mixer view the numerical value showing the peaks is at the top. As far as automating for de-essing, the automation in S1 is set up so that when you hit "A" on the keyboard you are now showing automation. You will then see on the track a little box with the default "Display: Off" if you click on that you will see options to show the "volume" or "pan" automation, once you can see it, it's easy to draw in the automation you want. Those are the tow common parameters, you will also see an option to "add / remove" other automation parameters.
Kevin Neill
Studio One V2.0.4
2011 Macbook 2.0 GHz i7 Quadcore
8Gig RAM
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2
Melodyne Editor 2.1
Native Instruments Komplete 8 Ultimate
_prophet
Prenoob

Joined: 12/12/2011 12:08:16
Messages: 2
Offline

matthewgorman wrote:there is a great tutorial showing usage of the transform tool for de-essing. It is on the studio 1 v2 product page, look for the video tutorial link.

assuming you are talking about this tutorial: http://studioone.presonus.com/portfolio/tutorials-editing-with-the-automation-transform-tool/
I kind of think de-essing should happen pre-fader, so I can do vocal automation afterwards. The tutorial simply works with volume automation. Any alternative to this, like working directly on the wave form, or gain automation?
LMike
Baconator
[Avatar]

Joined: 19/02/2011 12:02:34
Messages: 8233
Offline

You can make that happen pre-fader with automation by using the MixTool in the first insert slot, instead of using fader automaton, and automating the gain on the MixTool.

Or ... just manually split the sibilant parts away and reduce the level of them a bit. Having multiple splits in a track is no longer a practical issue now that we have audio parts. Split the sibilance away, crossfade it, pull the clip volume down =4db or whatever, done, move to the next one. When you finish put everything on the track into an audio part (G).
Studio One Tips For Newbs

"So.... Bitwig. I wonder what's queued up next in line on the drama list?"
brandywein
Prenoob

Joined: 24/10/2011 17:45:53
Messages: 36
Location: Viva Colonia
Offline

_prophet wrote:
matthewgorman wrote:there is a great tutorial showing usage of the transform tool for de-essing. It is on the studio 1 v2 product page, look for the video tutorial link.

assuming you are talking about this tutorial: http://studioone.presonus.com/portfolio/tutorials-editing-with-the-automation-transform-tool/
I kind of think de-essing should happen pre-fader, so I can do vocal automation afterwards. The tutorial simply works with volume automation. Any alternative to this, like working directly on the wave form, or gain automation?

You can can change the gain for a region in the region parameter area or by grabbing the gain handle of the region. But I don't think this can be automated. What you could do is use the any plugin that has a gain knob as your first insert and automate that. Plugins are pre-fader. S1's Mixtool plugin is one example, but it only goes down to -24 dB.

edit: LMike was faster

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/12/2011 18:37:29

brandywein
Prenoob

Joined: 24/10/2011 17:45:53
Messages: 36
Location: Viva Colonia
Offline

LMike wrote:
Or ... just manually split the sibilant parts away and reduce the level of them a bit. Having multiple splits in a track is no longer a practical issue now that we have audio parts. Split the sibilance away, crossfade it, pull the clip volume down =4db or whatever, done, move to the next one. When you finish put everything on the track into an audio part (G).

I do this for clicks and pops and it's actually pretty fast.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/12/2011 18:40:00

kelldammit
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/01/2011 13:06:08
Messages: 881
Offline

LMike wrote:You can make that happen pre-fader with automation by using the MixTool in the first insert slot, instead of using fader automaton, and automating the gain on the MixTool.

Or ... just manually split the sibilant parts away and reduce the level of them a bit. Having multiple splits in a track is no longer a practical issue now that we have audio parts. Split the sibilance away, crossfade it, pull the clip volume down =4db or whatever, done, move to the next one. When you finish put everything on the track into an audio part (G).


very clever that. it would be nice to have the option to make inserts pre or post fader (i find that particularly useful for compressors). hmmm...i think i smell a feature request coming on, if there isn't one there already for that.
Some people are like slinkies. They don't have a purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
--
Lenovo e520, i5 @2.3ghz, 8gb Ram, 7200rpm hd, win7 pro x64, studio 1 v2 pro x64, focusrite saffire usb-6, akai mpk-61.
[WWW]
Julia B
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/01/2011 23:09:59
Messages: 1244
Location: Seattle WA
Offline

I do my de-essing like this: How to make a de-esser in any DAW. I set that peak to where the most offensive frequency is then do the side-chaining thing. It doesn't completely nuke the sibilance like some de-essers do, nor does it mush up the "f'" like the de-essers typically do. The "f" sound is about 14 kHz while the "s" is around 7 kHz (9 kHz in my own case).
Creation Station 400 Sweetwater Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
16 GB Ram
C:\ 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm
D:\ 1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm
F: \ : 1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm SATA Libraries
Win 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Focusrite Saffire6 USB

Studio One Pro 2.6.2; Pro Tools 8.0.5; Cubase 7

Sugarbytes Cyclop, Arturia V Collection, Ivory II, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, EWQL VOP, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, Komplete 9, AEON, Evolve, Evolve Damage, Evolve Mutations, Alicia's Keys, MOTU Ethno-Instrument, Addictive Drums, Yellow Tools Candy, Garritan JABB3, GPO4, Vir2 Electri6ity, Omnisphere, Stylus, Reason 6.5, Sony Soundforge 10, Miroslav Philharmonic & Choir, Waves Gold bundle, Maserati Bundle, Vocal Rider, Melodyne Editor, Sibelius.



talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 23:56:13
Messages: 3002
Offline

Another de-essing trick (a little esoteric, mind you):

Isolate the S's (chop them down to little events. Copy the S events to a new track. Inver phase on the new track. Automate the gain on the inverted track to control the amount of suppression desired. A very fiddly, and not time-conserving approach, but in cases where satisfactory tone or control cannot be maintained using other methods or traqditional de-essers, give it a shot.
Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
A & H Qu-16, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26,
PreSonus S1 v2.6.2.25990, Boom Recorder 8.3.2

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.3,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.2.25590
 
Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: