image description


Forum Index » Profile for Live Sound Audio » Messages posted by Live Sound Audio
Author
Message
Live Sound » Studio Live 16.4.2 with dedicated subs » Go to message
I like subs on an aux as it is much easier to keep instruments out of the subs without fussing which EQ and high pass - which never seem exactly to do what I want them to do.
Live Sound » Kick Drum Mic » Go to message
Sure Beta 91 inside... sometimes nothing outside cause it's all I need. Sometimes beta 52 outside.
Live Sound » Digital Live Sound » Go to message
I've used autotune for a couple years now. It works fantastic with a gentle setting so you don't notice it's working unless you look at the screen. I used it with an Avid Profile console.
Live Sound » Capturing "consistent" guitar live... » Go to message
I (almost) always squish the electric guitar aggressively (5/1 to 10/1) with a very slow attack and quick release. Depending on the player this will keep them in the mix without having to babysit them too much.
StudioLive General Discussion » StudioLive compatible with Pro Tools 9 » Go to message
I'm on PT 7 - this is one upgrade I'm finally happy about for PT.
Live Sound » Using Compression on LIVE mixes... » Go to message
Everyone has their settings but try recording a session and then work with it afterwards to learn your tweaks... it is both art and science... With drums you especially get value from manual attack/ release.
Live Sound » Powered Monitors for a Small Club » Go to message
Hmmmm. I use virtually all self powered and thought it was easier. With EQ and etc. in the SL's it was an easy step. I run a "stringer" front and back of the stage so the AC cable lengths are short. Mostly I think losing one heavy rack was the best benefit and it is easier to plug and play with different systems for us.
StudioLive General Discussion » Avioms with StudioLive 16 » Go to message
I am currently using Avioms with a couple SL's - a 16 and 24. It is quite simple to use the direct outs with the input module. The only aviom send we use an aux for is drums - we use Aux 1 to a single aviom input. Works like a charm...
Live Sound » My bass-mix sounds a bit dull » Go to message
I'd recommend setting the Presonus flat and seeing what you can do on the bass amp side first. There should be more "bass guitar" tone shaping stuff built in to that. Once you've done your best - then go to the Presonus.
Live Sound » Powered Monitors for a Small Club » Go to message
The behringer self-powered 12's aren't bad for the price.... 3/1 ratio over the K's...
Live Sound » Anyone using compression/limiting on SL master out? » Go to message
You can pay lotsa $ for the processing included in just the main outs of the SL.... It's a great deal. Yes - speaker protection. We sometimes use the limiter for smaller systems we have to push and just bring it up to clipping then just below with the limiter. Keep the master fader set and you're safe.
Live Sound » Anyone using compression/limiting on SL master out? » Go to message
The SL boards latency is of no consequence for internal dynamics...
Live Sound » Drum Mic Opinions » Go to message
Shure Beta 91 on the kick 2" off the beater inside.... Love it. On a console where I can delay the channel 14" I also like a D112 outside to get more midrange tone.
Live Sound » Anyone using compression/limiting on SL master out? » Go to message
I use compression with a slow attack and quick release at about a 4/1 and try to keep it about 3 to 4 db gain reduction. It helps to keep things in check when it's loud.
StudioLive General Discussion » My first and last experience with the SL24 ! » Go to message
I've had that sinking feeling before with Pro Tools installations and a few others. Presonus has a large enough (satisfied) client base who do not experience the same problem you've experienced so it can't fairly be classified as "not ready for prime time."

After 25 years of working with new digital stuff I've found that 99.5% of the time something does not work it is because of a configuration problem. Sometimes those configuration problems are difficult to find especially if they involve a computer (and thankfully the basic operation of the SL does not require one) The remaining 0.5% is where something is actually wrong with the unit.

I got the SL 16 when they first came out and it's been 100% since day one. Just got the SL24 and I'd never consider buying another analog board even if there may be a few bumps in the road.

Based on my experience I think you could find these kinds of issues with about any console/computer interaction even at the high end of the market.

It seems you may have given up a bit too soon by underestimating how complicated these components are and how their interaction is "fragile." Once you pushed through the problems I'd bet you'd be at 100% until you did your next "update."
 
Forum Index » Profile for Live Sound Audio » Messages posted by Live Sound Audio