image description

Forum Index » Profile for explosivejelly » Messages posted by explosivejelly
Mic Techniques » Miking Drums: Recorderman Technique (For 2 mics) » Go to message
If you only have two inputs and need to record drums, you could try out the recorderman technique. With some practice you can get a decent stereo image of the drumset.


Watch the videos below to learn how:

How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Books For A Musician's Career » Go to message
Below is a short list of some of the books I find useful for managing your career:

Beyond Talent -
Lessons from a Street Wise Professor -
All You Need To Know About the Music Business -
The Savvy Musician -
Self Promoting Musician Strategies -
Music Contract Library -

It would be great if people listed at least 5 each of their favorite music career books.
How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Upload Music To The Nimbit Store » Go to message
Presonus integrated Nimbit into the program, so now you can upload your projects to your Nimbit Store.

Visit here for more info:

Sign up for Nimbit here:
Visit the main Nimbit store here:

For more information:

Watch the videos below:

How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Upload To Presonus' Exchange » Go to message
Presonus' Exchange is where you can upload presets, soundsets and other things.
For indepth info visit Presonus' webpage about the Exchange here:

Copyrighting, Demo Tips, Press Kits, ASCAP/BMI Membership » Press Release For Radio » Go to message
After you have recorded, mixed and mastered your audio project in Studio One v2, you may want to market your release. Radio stations read public service announcements (PSA) throughout the day and night. (I think it used to be required by law). This doesn't mean that they will read yours, but it also doesn't mean that they won't. What I mean is, radio stations usually receive MANY PSAs so they have to be quick and selective on which ones they read. You may get lucky and have yours read.

Some things to keep note of when writing a PSA for radio:
- Include phonetic pronunciation guides for words that the reader might be unsure of how to pronounce.
- Try to keep the PSA to one or two pages.
- You only have 30 to 90 seconds (depending) so keep it short.
- Include the word count and total time it takes to read the announcement.
- Include start and end date of when the announcement should be aired.
- Include your contact information at the top.
- Double space for easy reading.
- Include "###" centered at the end of the announcement page.

And always remember to check each radio station's guideline for PSAs.

Links to more info:
- - has examples.
- - very informative.

Copyrighting, Demo Tips, Press Kits, ASCAP/BMI Membership » UPC: The Universal Product Code » Go to message
The Universal Product Code (UPC) is a barcode symbology (i.e., a specific type of barcode), that is widely used in North America, and in countries including the UK, Australia, and New Zealand for tracking trade items in stores.

In order to have your physical album in retail stores, you need a UPC. Many independent services like CDBaby offer UPC's for a very inexpensive price. But if you obtain a UPC from an indepedent service, the UPC code's "prefix" will be registered to that company, not you individually.

The "GS1" organization handles membership and registration for barcodes.

To register for membership go here:

For information about UPC's visit:

To learn how to create a graphical barcode from your number after registering visit:

Quick note: Registering for a UPC from GS1 is VERY expensive.
Copyrighting, Demo Tips, Press Kits, ASCAP/BMI Membership » ISRC Codes » Go to message
ISRC stands for "International Standard Recording Code". It's a number for copyright holders that identifies sound recording and video recordings. There's currently (as of 2012) a $75 one time registration fee. After registering you can make up to 100,000 ISRC codes. The codes make it easier for performing rights organizations to collect royalties.

To register for a ISRC codes visit:

USISRC offers helpful documents all about the procedure, use, etc.. of ISRC codes:

IFPI provides a handbook for ISRC codes:
- More IFPI documents on their website here:

*Quick note: ISRC codes have nothing to do with UPC codes.

Studio One v2 Professional allows you to enter in ISRC codes in the Mastering section. Watch video below:

Podcasting » Podcasting Basics » Go to message
Podcasting is a great marketing tool for the musician. It's VERY simple to record your audio podcasts with Studio One v2. If you are going to film your podcast as well please see this forum post about film:

Here are links to some basics about podcasting:

- 3 Resources to start podcasting:
- How to get your podcast on itunes:

If you have your own website and use Wordpress here's a 2 good podcasting plugins:

Video Tutorial Series:

How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Crowd Funding Your Project » Go to message
Yeah haha, have free time for the first time in a long time tonight.
How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Crowd Funding Your Project » Go to message
Crowd funding musical projects (as well as other creative endeavors) has become very popular recently. You get to set a financial goal to reach, and people interested in your project pledge money towards it. If you meet or go over the financial goal you set, you get the money to put towards your project.

Some of the most popular crowd funding sites are:
- Kickstarter:
- PledgeMusic:
- Sellaband:
- IndieGogo:
- RocketHub:
How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Making a Music Video/Filming: The Basics » Go to message
To the best of my knowledge Studio One v2 Professional does NOT let you currently export a video with sound, but you can use Studio One v2 Pro to help sync your music to the video. You will have to then export your finished music synced to the video, then use another program to put the music with the video.

There are many video editing programs out there. Most of them are very expensive. There is a free open source alternative though called "Blender". It's a 3d animation/non-linear video editing program available at: You could use it to just edit video if you want. A popular program for finishes touches is called "After Effects" (

Some quick resources about creating a music video:

Aspect ratios:


By the way, this animation was made in Blender (

How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Music News/Blog Sites To Follow » Go to message
Here is a list (and by no way comprehensive) list of music news and blog sites to follow for information on all aspects of the music business and more. It's always a good idea to keep up with what's going on in the music world.

- Presonus:
- Hypebot:
- Gramaphone:
- Digital Cowboys:
- Deceptive Cadence:
- Digital Music News:
- NY Times:
- DIY Musician:

- Know the Music Biz:
- The Guardian:
- Nimbit:
- WQXR:!/blogs/wqxr-blog/
- Musformation:
- Artsjournal:
- Music Think Tank:
- Pitchfork:
- Stereogum:

Copyrighting, Demo Tips, Press Kits, ASCAP/BMI Membership » CD/DVD/Vinyl Manufacturing Service Providers: A Short List » Go to message
There are MANY replication & duplication companies available to choose from to manufacture your music. It's all a matter of which company you, as an individual/group prefer. Here is a short list (search online for more):

CD/DVD/Blue Ray:
- NationWide Disc:
- DiscMakers:
- CD Master Copy:
- GrooveHouse:
- Disk:
- Mixonic:
- DiskFactory:
- Oasis:

- Furnace:
- GrooveHouse:
- Rainbo:
- United Record:
- Record Pressing:
- Erika Records:

Search online and locally for more!
How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Preparing Album Art/Booklets » Go to message
Preparing your album art is pretty straight forward. You use the templates provided by the duplication/replication company you have chosen to do business with.

A few things to keep in mind:
- Word Processors & Image Editing programs are not professional publishing programs (do not use these, except the image editor to prepare photos to import into your publishing program).
- Photos you are using usually have to be taken at 300dpi to begin with, not resampled up from anything in less resolution.
- Finished album art/booklets are usually accepted (currently) as PDF/x-4 files.
- Be sure to check your work in CMYK (or change it from RGB to CMYK if your printer wants it that way) before you give it to the printing service!
- Don't forget to put both the standard copyright symbol AND the sound recording copyright symbol (a letter p in a circle) somewhere on your artwork/booklet!

An article from SoundOnSound about preparing your artwork:
DiscMakers FAQ:

Commercial Publishing Software:
Adobe InDesign:

Open Source Publishing Software:
Scribus (comparable to commercial software:
How do I (You fill in the blank)? » Preparing Sheet Music » Go to message
If you compose music you may be interested in the DIY prepping of your composition for print. There are a few commercial programs available, as well as free open source source programs.

A couple of commercial programs:
Finale -
Sibelius -

A couple of open source programs:
MuseScore (comparable to commercial products):

After notating the score you want to prepare it for print. The Major Orchestra Librarians' Association (MOLA) provides guidelines for the preparation/formatting/size of paper etc.. of a score:
- Visit the resources section of their website for more info:

Videos of interest:

Hand Music Engraving!

Forum Index » Profile for explosivejelly » Messages posted by explosivejelly