image description


OT: Pro Tools 10 Announced and Available Now
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Message
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/04/2009 11:13:38
Messages: 2344
Offline

MR4Y wrote:
Avid only had the hardware stuff at their side. Now you can run PT with any hardware. They need to grow out of this "you need this to run that" kinda thing. There are few people I know that use PT HD and never touched their interfaces, going for SSL instead. And this was before they allowed any hardware to be used.


Yep, SSL offers a great product range but yet again they are an industry standard and they still rely on the HD system.

Intergroove wrote:

I have to say there are some large studios that use Logic Pro all the time.


Again, a figure of speech. When you say some, that may be 1 out of 100 which to me is nobody. I really can't see a studio trusting a large budget project to a desktop computer.

Some larger studios may "Use" other software, but I'm not sure how many are tracking with it and putting their reputation and $20,000 recording sessions on the line with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2011 22:27:22

MR4Y
Presonoid

Joined: 23/10/2011 08:44:32
Messages: 1275
Location: Araras - SP - Brazil
Offline

Pro Tools is a industry standard because is older, not because it's the best.
HP G42 | AMD Athlon II P340 | 2Gb RAM | HD 320 Gb | Windows 7 Home Basic x64
Presonus Studio One Artist 2.0.4 x86 | MAGIX Samplitude Silver Soundcloud Edition
Line 6 POD XT Live

How can anyone call something so divisive a community?
[WWW] [MSN]
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/04/2009 11:13:38
Messages: 2344
Offline

MR4Y wrote:Pro Tools is a industry standard because is older, not because it's the best.


If that were true, Cubase would be the Industry Standard. Digital Audio Workstation used to mean just that, a hardware platform. No other company offers a true workstation system that can operate on the large scale...Think Film Scoring and Orchestra.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2011 22:31:58

Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3
MR4Y
Presonoid

Joined: 23/10/2011 08:44:32
Messages: 1275
Location: Araras - SP - Brazil
Offline

kreeper_6 wrote:
MR4Y wrote:Pro Tools is a industry standard because is older, not because it's the best.


If that were true, Cubase would be the Standard.


Both would have equal chances. Both appeared at NAMM in 1989, but Pro Tools was in development 5 years earlier, making it older than Cubase.
HP G42 | AMD Athlon II P340 | 2Gb RAM | HD 320 Gb | Windows 7 Home Basic x64
Presonus Studio One Artist 2.0.4 x86 | MAGIX Samplitude Silver Soundcloud Edition
Line 6 POD XT Live

How can anyone call something so divisive a community?
[WWW] [MSN]
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/04/2009 11:13:38
Messages: 2344
Offline

MR4Y wrote:
Both would have equal chances. Both appeared at NAMM in 1989, but Pro Tools was in development 5 years earlier, making it older than Cubase.


Doesn't matter which was in development longer, they both hit the market at the same time. It's obvious, the hardware aspect is what propelled ProTools to where it is now and it is the reason it will remain the Industry standard until a company decides to take on that market.

Nobody has and nobody will.

Besides, Cubase was a sequencer and ProTools was a multitrack recording platform.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2011 22:38:22

Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3
jonathan
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 16/04/2009 17:37:19
Messages: 1551
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Offline

I can say for sure this is changing, having been in several major studios recently working with producers on major label projects. They still like to have an impressive console, racks of gear, etc, so that they at least appear like a 'major studio', but more and more this is just for appearances. I know a few guys doing most of their production on laptops with headphones, and their work is at the top of the charts.

PT is still king of the hill in this area for now, but things are certainly changing.
Jonathan, Product Manager, PreSonus
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6/Win 7 x64
Q6600 QuadCore Vista 32-bit/Win 7 x64
MR4Y
Presonoid

Joined: 23/10/2011 08:44:32
Messages: 1275
Location: Araras - SP - Brazil
Offline

kreeper_6 wrote:
MR4Y wrote:
Both would have equal chances. Both appeared at NAMM in 1989, but Pro Tools was in development 5 years earlier, making it older than Cubase.


Doesn't matter which was in development longer, they both hit the market at the same time. It's obvious, the hardware aspect is what propelled ProTools to where it is now and it is the reason it will remain the Industry standard until a company decides to take on that market.

Nobody has and nobody will.

Besides, Cubase was a sequencer and ProTools was a multitrack recording platform.


Nobody will mainly because you don't make much money that way, by locking software to hardware. Also, you fall in to the Apple way, where you're forced to buy new hardware if the company tells you so.
HP G42 | AMD Athlon II P340 | 2Gb RAM | HD 320 Gb | Windows 7 Home Basic x64
Presonus Studio One Artist 2.0.4 x86 | MAGIX Samplitude Silver Soundcloud Edition
Line 6 POD XT Live

How can anyone call something so divisive a community?
[WWW] [MSN]
MarkusHassold
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 29/07/2010 09:28:03
Messages: 1170
Location: Germany/Stuttgart
Offline

As long as there are productions where you want to punch-in or -out 48 Tracks simultaneously at 24 Bit-96KHz, whilst monitoring 87 Tracks (including the Effects on the 48 ones you just record) there will be a need for a hardware accelerated system. No doubt.

But stability is not the main reason.
It might be a reason not to work with several programs - but I've seen Protools crash more often than S1 - although I must admit, that it always had to work under conditions my Laptop could not match at all.
Presonus Firestudio Tube,
Presonus Firestudio Project
Universal Control 1.7.2
Presonus Inspire 1394, Faderport, Bluetube DP, HP 4, Bluemax.....
MacBookPro 4.1, 17" ( late 2008 ),
2,5 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, MacOS 10.9.4
External harddisc (3.5" - 7200 rpm) with eSATA connection through a Sonnet express-card.
Presonus Studio One Pro 2.6.2
Celemony Melodyne editor 2.1.2
kreeper_6
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/04/2009 11:13:38
Messages: 2344
Offline

MR4Y wrote:
Nobody will mainly because you don't make much money that way, by locking software to hardware. Also, you fall in to the Apple way, where you're forced to buy new hardware if the company tells you so.


I dunno...Apple sure seems to make a lot of money with their MAC Pro Dongles and their customers sure don't mind following that business model. They sure do praise 3 iPod releases a year, the iPad 2, and how many versions of the iPhone?
Windows 8.1 x64 / Core2 Q6600 / Gigabyte EP35-DS3R F4 / 4GB DDR2 800 / EVGA GTX 650 Ti SC
Studio One x64 / 24Bit / 48kHz / 256 Buffer / Double Precision
FireStudio Tube / Axiom 25 / UAD-2 Quad v7.3
MR4Y
Presonoid

Joined: 23/10/2011 08:44:32
Messages: 1275
Location: Araras - SP - Brazil
Offline

MarkusHassold wrote:As long as there are productions where you want to punch-in or -out 48 Tracks simultaneously at 24 Bit-96KHz, whilst monitoring 87 Tracks (including the Effects on the 48 ones you just record) there will be a need for a hardware accelerated system. No doubt.

But stability is not the main reason.
It might be a reason not to work with several programs - but I've seen Protools crash more often than S1 - although I must admit, that it always had to work under conditions my Laptop could not match at all.


RME does that using MADI. Each HDSP card can carry 64 I/O and you can add as many cards as you want. It's only limited by how powerful your system is.

HP G42 | AMD Athlon II P340 | 2Gb RAM | HD 320 Gb | Windows 7 Home Basic x64
Presonus Studio One Artist 2.0.4 x86 | MAGIX Samplitude Silver Soundcloud Edition
Line 6 POD XT Live

How can anyone call something so divisive a community?
[WWW] [MSN]
didguitare
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 09/09/2011 11:57:26
Messages: 125
Location: MEAUDRE
Offline

Hi, the French Pro oils Forum :

http://protoolsfrance.forumgratuit.fr/

Best regards,
Didier.
[WWW]
an.unna.kid
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 18/10/2011 21:28:15
Messages: 55
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Offline

I think Probe Tools should stay in the film business, I think they are best at this game but in the music business there are plenty of competitors which IMO work better.

No ofline mixdown/bounce is just plain stupid these days...

Nobody in their right state of mind uses the Digidesign/Avid converters with PT, if you know what you are doing you'll choose Apogee instead, so the myth of that it's their hardware that makes PT so outstanding is just not true. Their AD/DA are just overpriced M-audio converters.

Just my two cents


it's all about the song.
Gearlist:
Computer: Frost i7, 3.5ghz (8core) W7, 32 gig ram.
Desk: Mackie Sr 40-8, Yamaha 01.
Monitors: Focal CMS 65, Genelec 8030/1030/6010.
DSP: Liquid mix 32 x2, SSL Duende 32 x2, UAD2 Nevana, Powercore X8 and powercore compact.
Ouboard: Shadow hills Dual Vandergraph, Elysia Xpressor, Harrison 32eq, UBK Clariphonic, Tk Audio Bc1, GAP Comp 54, Art PRO VLA II, Tc G-force/Finalizer/m350, Focusrite Liquid channel, JMP 1(mod), SPL Transient 2, SPL Vitalizer, Lexicon Mx200/Alex/.
Sound card: MOTU 828/Ultralite mk3, Art tube opto/ Alesis AI3(lightpipe).
Controllers: BCF2000 x2, Nocturn, Kore2, Kore 1, Korg ms-20, Arturia analog factory, Samsung touchpad,
Synths: Arturia Origin, Waldorf blofeld, Alesis Qs7. Arturia Spark, Sm Pro V-machine, Roland Spd 11, Maschine Mikro, Virus C.
Pedals: Tc nova drive, Tech 21, Hartcke.
Mics: Röde K2, NTK, ADk 52 x 4, Sputnik, JJlabs, Shure, Sennheiser.
Plugins:
Sonnox, Slate digital, Spl, Fabfilter, Duende Native,
And many more...
[WWW]
MR4Y
Presonoid

Joined: 23/10/2011 08:44:32
Messages: 1275
Location: Araras - SP - Brazil
Offline

kreeper_6 wrote:
MR4Y wrote:
Nobody will mainly because you don't make much money that way, by locking software to hardware. Also, you fall in to the Apple way, where you're forced to buy new hardware if the company tells you so.


I dunno...Apple sure seems to make a lot of money with their MAC Pro Dongles and their customers sure don't mind following that business model. They sure do praise 3 iPod releases a year, the iPad 2, and how many versions of the iPhone?


And how many of these releses were good out of the box in their first version? Probably none of them. Apple does more product redesigning than anyone else in the business. Let alone discontinue models that people wanted improved, as seen lately with the Macbook being discontinued in favor of the worse Air model as their entry level notebook.

Also, Mac Pros are popular because there's no competition against them. Mac Pros are essencially chassis with hardware that's used on servers. You can pretty much do the same thing on a Windows PC.

HP G42 | AMD Athlon II P340 | 2Gb RAM | HD 320 Gb | Windows 7 Home Basic x64
Presonus Studio One Artist 2.0.4 x86 | MAGIX Samplitude Silver Soundcloud Edition
Line 6 POD XT Live

How can anyone call something so divisive a community?
[WWW] [MSN]
MR4Y
Presonoid

Joined: 23/10/2011 08:44:32
Messages: 1275
Location: Araras - SP - Brazil
Offline

an.unna.kid wrote:I think Probe Tools should stay in the film business, I think they are best at this game but in the music business there are plenty of competitors which IMO work better.

No ofline mixdown/bounce is just plain stupid these days...

Nobody in their right state of mind uses the Digidesign/Avid converters with PT, if you know what you are doing you'll choose Apogee instead, so the myth of that it's their hardware that makes PT so outstanding is just not true. Their AD/DA are just overpriced M-audio converters.

Just my two cents




Also:

-No 64 bit version
-RAM Caching is basically useless for Windows users, since even 64 bit versions of Windows limit programs to use a maximum of 2Gb RAM
-It took them 10 years or more to add latency compensation for plugins. Also, home users have more samples of latency compensation than HD users for some strange reason.

I should point out that no mastering engineer uses Pro Tools for mastering.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/10/2011 01:44:43

HP G42 | AMD Athlon II P340 | 2Gb RAM | HD 320 Gb | Windows 7 Home Basic x64
Presonus Studio One Artist 2.0.4 x86 | MAGIX Samplitude Silver Soundcloud Edition
Line 6 POD XT Live

How can anyone call something so divisive a community?
[WWW] [MSN]
an.unna.kid
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 18/10/2011 21:28:15
Messages: 55
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Offline

yep! It sucks for mastering.
The people who master for me use Pyramix
it's all about the song.
Gearlist:
Computer: Frost i7, 3.5ghz (8core) W7, 32 gig ram.
Desk: Mackie Sr 40-8, Yamaha 01.
Monitors: Focal CMS 65, Genelec 8030/1030/6010.
DSP: Liquid mix 32 x2, SSL Duende 32 x2, UAD2 Nevana, Powercore X8 and powercore compact.
Ouboard: Shadow hills Dual Vandergraph, Elysia Xpressor, Harrison 32eq, UBK Clariphonic, Tk Audio Bc1, GAP Comp 54, Art PRO VLA II, Tc G-force/Finalizer/m350, Focusrite Liquid channel, JMP 1(mod), SPL Transient 2, SPL Vitalizer, Lexicon Mx200/Alex/.
Sound card: MOTU 828/Ultralite mk3, Art tube opto/ Alesis AI3(lightpipe).
Controllers: BCF2000 x2, Nocturn, Kore2, Kore 1, Korg ms-20, Arturia analog factory, Samsung touchpad,
Synths: Arturia Origin, Waldorf blofeld, Alesis Qs7. Arturia Spark, Sm Pro V-machine, Roland Spd 11, Maschine Mikro, Virus C.
Pedals: Tc nova drive, Tech 21, Hartcke.
Mics: Röde K2, NTK, ADk 52 x 4, Sputnik, JJlabs, Shure, Sennheiser.
Plugins:
Sonnox, Slate digital, Spl, Fabfilter, Duende Native,
And many more...
[WWW]
 
Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: