image description


Question about routing audio through Fire Studio Mobile?
  Forum Index » FireStudio Mobile & FireStudio Project 
Author
Message
jayrmon
Prenoob

Joined: 06/01/2012 22:20:57
Messages: 14
Location: Chicago, IL.
Offline

Hello,

I just picked up a new FS Mobile and slowly getting familiar with it. I have simple question, I hope. I originally planned to ask if it was possible to connect 2 computers to the FS mobile, but I read another post that this is not possible due to limitations of Firewire.

Here is my scenario-

I have a Macbook Pro that I'm using for Studio One. It is fairly new. I still have an old WIN7 desktop that I use constantly. I have tons of music software (Band in Box, Transcribe)....basically all my guitar practice material. I was running the sound card out of that into a small 6 channel Behringer mixer. Main Outs going to my Event PS5 monitors. All good there.

For the Macbook I ran the main outs of the FS mobile through the mixer and the signal was very low. This is a pretty cheap mixer.

Because the FS mobile has balanced main outs and my monitors has balanced inputs I wanted to take advantage of that. I then connected directly form the FS mobile to my monitors using balanced TRS to XLR. HUGE improvement!

So my problem now is I cannot run my WIN7 Machine through these monitors. I've got a few ideas to resolve this but not sure.

1. Hook up my WIN7 machine to the FS mobile via FW. See above about previous post. I tried this and no go.
2. Connect the sound card output of my WIN7 machine to a line in on the FS Mobile?
3. Get a better mixer (new Mackie) with balanced outs? I'm not sure this will help?
4. Get another set of speakers for computer. I did this...bought a $20 pair and they sound like crap. I guess I can invest in a good pair but I could also put that money towards the mixer -- mentioned above.

Thanks for any input!
Macbook Pro
Event PS5 monitors
Studio Projects mic
Too many guitars...
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 24/02/2011 21:30:31
Messages: 3219
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.
Offline

I may be missing something. You are taking the computer audio out through (headphone out, rca out, or similar), and inputting that into the FSM?

The FSM is designed to be the soundcard. You can go into device manager and select the FSM as the default playback device. If you are working in a daw (S! for ex), you select the FSM (Shows as Firestudio) in "Configure Audio Devices" from the start page.

Or I may have misunderstood what you were doing, which is entirely possible.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
jayrmon
Prenoob

Joined: 06/01/2012 22:20:57
Messages: 14
Location: Chicago, IL.
Offline

matthewgorman wrote:I may be missing something. You are taking the computer audio out through (headphone out, rca out, or similar), and inputting that into the FSM?

The FSM is designed to be the soundcard. You can go into device manager and select the FSM as the default playback device. If you are working in a daw (S! for ex), you select the FSM (Shows as Firestudio) in "Configure Audio Devices" from the start page.

Or I may have misunderstood what you were doing, which is entirely possible.


Thank Matt, I know its a bit confusing. Basically I'd like to have the flexibility of having either computer on and playing audio through my monitors.

It looks like I cannot have the both connected at the same time as it causes some kind of conflict. Had to reboot to get my Macbook working again. I suppose I could just unplug 1 computers FW cable and use the other computer. I just like having them both operational at the same time.

I tried to select the FS Mobile as an output in Windows like you said but there is no sound - I believe because I had the Macbook connected to the other FW port on the FS.

So I was thinking, run a stereo 1/8 cable out of my sound card speaker out on the WIN7 machine and split it into 2 mono cables which each feed a line input of the FS. Seems like a hassle....not sure.

Hope this makes more sense.

thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/01/2014 21:31:34

Macbook Pro
Event PS5 monitors
Studio Projects mic
Too many guitars...
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 24/02/2011 21:30:31
Messages: 3219
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.
Offline

It shouldn't make sense, but it does. You can't have 2 separate workstations connected to the FSM. The 2 firewire ports on the back are for chaining multiple units together, but it will only sync to one workstation.

On a mac you can set up aggregate devices to output program 1 to the FSM, and program 2 to the mac onboard audio. Don't know how to do it, since I am on pc. On a pc, you can not set up 2 devices in windows. Some have had success using ASIO for all instead of windows asio drivers, but it doesn't seem like a stable situation from what I have seen. No personal experience doing it. You could in theory run the 1/8" out to the FSM like you said, but I don't think you would get the results. Probably is more of a hassle.

Whatever you do, don't "hot swap" the firewire from one machine to the other. That can damage the fsm.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
jayrmon
Prenoob

Joined: 06/01/2012 22:20:57
Messages: 14
Location: Chicago, IL.
Offline

matthewgorman wrote:It shouldn't make sense, but it does. You can't have 2 separate workstations connected to the FSM. The 2 firewire ports on the back are for chaining multiple units together, but it will only sync to one workstation.

On a mac you can set up aggregate devices to output program 1 to the FSM, and program 2 to the mac onboard audio. Don't know how to do it, since I am on pc. On a pc, you can not set up 2 devices in windows. Some have had success using ASIO for all instead of windows asio drivers, but it doesn't seem like a stable situation from what I have seen. No personal experience doing it. You could in theory run the 1/8" out to the FSM like you said, but I don't think you would get the results. Probably is more of a hassle.

Whatever you do, don't "hot swap" the firewire from one machine to the other. That can damage the fsm.


Thanks, this is good info. Yea, its seems like a challenge. My Event monitors are true studio monitors and were bought to used for that primarily - guess I should stick to that. I had gotten used to having them play audio/music etc from my Win utility machine. I think I 'll just keep things totally separate and invest in some better computer speakers for the WIN7 box.
Macbook Pro
Event PS5 monitors
Studio Projects mic
Too many guitars...
matthewgorman
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 24/02/2011 21:30:31
Messages: 3219
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.
Offline

Maybe look into something like the Monitor Station. Run the fsm into that, and the win pc into the aux via headphone out to dual rca. Then use the monitor station to switch to what input you want to listen to.
Matt

Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bt, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158010&Tpk=startech%20EC13942
S1Pro V2 (Special Dog Balls Edition), Melodyne Editor, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves Renaissance Bundle, Firestudio Tube, Faderport, Monitor Station, HP4 Headphone Amp Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Shure Mics (57's, 58's, and a 1953 Unidyne), Various AKG, Various MXL Ribbon Mics.

1974 P-Bass, 1990 Jazz, 1985 Guild B302, Ampeg SVT with 4x10x15 cabinet

http://soundcloud.com/stars_apart
wally
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 30/07/2010 19:57:00
Messages: 301
Location: Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada
Offline

What you want to do will work as you stated.
Use the MAC and FireStudio on Firewire for recording/playback.
Connect the Windows machine to one set of unused audio inputs on the FireStudio mobile (for playback only). This will work even if the Mac is turned off because the FSM remembers your FSM mixer settings.

Cheers
Wally
MacBook Pro 17", i7, 8Gig, 7200rpm HDD
StudioLive 24.4.2, Firestudio Mobile, Faderport
Studio One Pro, Capture, Logic Pro X
Rode NT2-A, Shure Beta52, SM57's, SM58's
Sennheiser e614's
Tascam VL-A5 Monitors
IPAD2, iPhone 4S
jayrmon
Prenoob

Joined: 06/01/2012 22:20:57
Messages: 14
Location: Chicago, IL.
Offline

wally wrote:What you want to do will work as you stated.
Use the MAC and FireStudio on Firewire for recording/playback.
Connect the Windows machine to one set of unused audio inputs on the FireStudio mobile (for playback only). This will work even if the Mac is turned off because the FSM remembers your FSM mixer settings.

Cheers
Wally


Thanks Wally, I will give that a try...once I figure out how
Macbook Pro
Event PS5 monitors
Studio Projects mic
Too many guitars...
jayrmon
Prenoob

Joined: 06/01/2012 22:20:57
Messages: 14
Location: Chicago, IL.
Offline

Want to report that Wally's suggestion worked great. I ran a cable (1/8 stereo to split TRS 1/4 in) from the speaker out on my WIN7 sound card to inputs 7 and 8 on the FS Mobile. I configured the INs/Outs in Song Setup and turned on the mixer in Universal Control.
I unhooked my Macbook from the equation this morning and it still works flawlessly.

Cheers!
Macbook Pro
Event PS5 monitors
Studio Projects mic
Too many guitars...
 
Forum Index » FireStudio Mobile & FireStudio Project
Go to: