image description


Burning master CDs in Studio One
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Message
jc24
Presonic

Joined: 21/01/2011 02:00:35
Messages: 114
Offline

I'm assuming (and hoping) that I've missed something here...whenever I burn a CD from the Project page, it burns it as a 'Track-at-once' disk, not 'disk-at-once', meaning of course that they will always be rejected by manufacturing plants. I can't find any options to change regarding this, so I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

It seems a bit silly that there is even the capability in 'mastering' software to write track-at-once disks...
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Studio One V2 Professional 2.6
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive
x2 WD Caviar Black Audio and samples drives

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
mwright137
Presonificator
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/10/2011 17:57:00
Messages: 3878
Location: Central PA
Offline

What version of Studio One do you have? Producer or professional? I believe pro adds red book CD capability and it sounds like that's what you're looking for...
I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

MacBook Pro 13. OS X Mavericks - version 10.9.3
StudioLive 16.4.2; StudioLive 328AI (x2)
AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; FireStudio Project (x2)
Studio One 2 Pro 2.6.2 (64 bit)
I use Gobbler to back up my projects.
[WWW]
jc24
Presonic

Joined: 21/01/2011 02:00:35
Messages: 114
Offline

Thanks, as said in my signature, I use the latest version of 'Professional'
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Studio One V2 Professional 2.6
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive
x2 WD Caviar Black Audio and samples drives

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
henryklein
Presonic

Joined: 29/07/2010 09:54:51
Messages: 443
Offline

Got an uploaded DDF back from a CD factory. They said "we cannot read it, shows an error in our machines". Just fyi. As I still own Samplitude I tend to master in that nice piece of software within a virtual Windows (WinOnX does it nice if only master outs are needed).

Henry
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
hardware: mbp 17 i7 quad 8gig 7200rpm, SL1642, Firestudio Tube
software: osx 10.6.8, S1v2, steinberg hypersonic2, steinberg groove agent 3, ozone
jc24
Presonic

Joined: 21/01/2011 02:00:35
Messages: 114
Offline

Yep I've just had a DDP and an audio cd rejected by the plant on a client's project. Embarrassing to say the least. It'd be great if someone from presonus could shed some light in the matter...
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Studio One V2 Professional 2.6
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive
x2 WD Caviar Black Audio and samples drives

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
jonathan
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 16/04/2009 17:37:19
Messages: 1551
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Offline

I'm looking into this now. Why was the DDP rejected?
Jonathan, Product Manager, PreSonus
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6/Win 7 x64
Q6600 QuadCore Vista 32-bit/Win 7 x64
Kahlbert
Presonificator

Joined: 27/11/2009 14:17:13
Messages: 4778
Location: Germany
Offline

I just spent almost a week checking the project page's various outputs against Sonoris DDP Creator Pro.

When importing the DDP I got a minor warning, but nothing dramatic.

The audio CD looked good in every application and device I tested - within another one or two weeks I will know if the record plant accepts it.

As for DDP - I talked to someone from a supposedly professional plant, and he actually recommended submitting an audio CD since this was the most common format. I had not much confidence in his answers to my specific questions about DDP, though, and from researching the internet I got the feeling it's not too well specified and documented at all.

I'd love to hear more experiences - and please insist on a proper explanation when something gets rejected! So will I ...
[WWW]
Kahlbert
Presonificator

Joined: 27/11/2009 14:17:13
Messages: 4778
Location: Germany
Offline

jc24,

I'm pretty sure mine was DAO (although I'm not sure it was "fixated") - how did you check yours?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/07/2012 18:28:21

[WWW]
jc24
Presonic

Joined: 21/01/2011 02:00:35
Messages: 114
Offline

Thank you all for the replies, and thank you jonathon for looking into it!

I should have gotten more info from the plant - I don't know why the DDP was rejected. My local manufacturer sends discs to a plant in Singapore for runs of 500+. But to be honest, I think the DDP rejection many have been something weird that happened during the online transfer, because the second one worked fine.

It's the audio CD thing that baffles me - great to know that Presonus is investigating, because it would be great to be able to burn disc-at-once masters directly from the project page - it was huge time saving features like this that convinced me to switch to studio one in the first place!

And just while I have your ear jonathon, I was also experiencing issues with updating song files on the mastering page. I would click on the edit icon, the song would open up, I'd make my changes, select 'update mastering file' and all appeared to work fine, except the mix hadnt actually been updated in the project page. Also for some of the songs, I had to manually mixdown and import the files into the project page, as whenever I inserted them as a song, there were glitches in the audio. I'll file a support ticket for this, but if it's a quick fix, please let me know!
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Studio One V2 Professional 2.6
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive
x2 WD Caviar Black Audio and samples drives

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
jc24
Presonic

Joined: 21/01/2011 02:00:35
Messages: 114
Offline

@ Kahlbert, I have no way of checking if discs are TAO or DAO - I've never had a problem with this before (I used to use wave lab for mastering). I do know tha every disc I've burnt in S1 has been TAO though, because the plant has rejected every single one of them. And there's not a problem with my hardware, because as soon as I switch back to wavelab, the CDs pass with grade A's
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Studio One V2 Professional 2.6
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive
x2 WD Caviar Black Audio and samples drives

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
jhainline
Prenoob

Joined: 29/07/2010 19:55:22
Messages: 58
Location: Longmont, CO
Offline

jc24 wrote:
And just while I have your ear jonathon, I was also experiencing issues with updating song files on the mastering page. I would click on the edit icon, the song would open up, I'd make my changes, select 'update mastering file' and all appeared to work fine, except the mix hadnt actually been updated in the project page. Also for some of the songs, I had to manually mixdown and import the files into the project page, as whenever I inserted them as a song, there were glitches in the audio. I'll file a support ticket for this, but if it's a quick fix, please let me know!


I have also experienced this problem as well with updated mastering files NOT appearing in the project page. For now I only update the mastering file for each individual song from the project page.
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.8.5
Mac Pro 8 core, 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8
Apogee Symphony I/O
Studio One Professional V2.6
Studio Live 16.4.2
Euphonix MC Mix
Focal 6be
Mackie Big Knob
jc24
Presonic

Joined: 21/01/2011 02:00:35
Messages: 114
Offline

jhainline wrote:
jc24 wrote:
And just while I have your ear jonathon, I was also experiencing issues with updating song files on the mastering page. I would click on the edit icon, the song would open up, I'd make my changes, select 'update mastering file' and all appeared to work fine, except the mix hadnt actually been updated in the project page. Also for some of the songs, I had to manually mixdown and import the files into the project page, as whenever I inserted them as a song, there were glitches in the audio. I'll file a support ticket for this, but if it's a quick fix, please let me know!


I have also experienced this problem as well with updated mastering files NOT appearing in the project page. For now I only update the mastering file for each individual song from the project page.


I tried this too, but was still getting inconsistent results, even when updating from the Project page...
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Studio One V2 Professional 2.6
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive
x2 WD Caviar Black Audio and samples drives

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au
http://www.jamescollinsmusic.com
Kahlbert
Presonificator

Joined: 27/11/2009 14:17:13
Messages: 4778
Location: Germany
Offline

jc24 wrote:@ Kahlbert, I have no way of checking if discs are TAO or DAO - I've never had a problem with this before (I used to use wave lab for mastering). I do know tha every disc I've burnt in S1 has been TAO though, because the plant has rejected every single one of them. And there's not a problem with my hardware, because as soon as I switch back to wavelab, the CDs pass with grade A's

OK, so I conclude there could be any number of reasons why it was rejected. Doesn't have to be TAO from what you're saying. Maybe it's actually something simple as the disc being not finalized properly or something.

I'll submit two CDs (that's recommended anyways), one directly out of Studio One, and one from an NRG made of the Studio One CD. I'll let you know how it goes ...
[WWW]
Kahlbert
Presonificator

Joined: 27/11/2009 14:17:13
Messages: 4778
Location: Germany
Offline

jc24 wrote:(...) But to be honest, I think the DDP rejection many have been something weird that happened during the online transfer, because the second one worked fine.
(...)

Just curious, didn't you provide a ZIP file with the DDP folder in it? That seems to be recommended when transfering critical files online.
[WWW]
talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/07/2010 23:56:13
Messages: 3002
Offline

I could be wrong, here, but I believe submitted discs are usually rejected because of too many uncorrectable errors. The CD format is pretty robust, and players can handle and certain amount of junk/missing bits of data, but the factory doesn't want to print copies with too much junk/missing, or you'll be unhappy because they wont play well across the widest cross section of machines out there. In my experience, the problem is usually a poor CD burner or flaky discs, or both. If they reject a master, be happy that they are looking out for you in terms of quality control. Don't skimp on the discs you use for masters, handle them very carefully, and make more than one copy when you send to the dup house. Burn those different copies using different burners. That way at least one of the discs you send will probably be acceptable. AFAIK, S1 burns in DAO mode only. PreSonus doesn't make the burning engine, and I have a hard time believing that they suddenly changed the code for that was on us to be TAO -- that doesn't make sense to me, at least. Make sure you check the option to use a temporary image file, too.
Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
A & H Qu-16, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26,
PreSonus S1 v2.6.2.25990, Boom Recorder 8.3.2

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.3,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.2.25590
 
Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: