image description


Cakewalk Sonar X3!?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Message
Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

Bub wrote:
Jlien X wrote:But one member of this forum who spends much more time in creating music than you and uses S1 as his main daw said recently he uses Sonar for its "rich MIDI" so you can't just laugh, I guess...


And another former member of this forum who is no longer with us, and was the most respected member of Sonar's forum that there ever was, switched to Studio One, and he was strictly a midi user.

It's possible he didn't like something else about Sonar (X1/X2). Instability, broken color customization, big fat console, etc. I can understand that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/10/2013 18:54:15

PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
Bub
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/08/2013 22:12:35
Messages: 468
Location: Peculiar, MO
Offline

Jlien X wrote:
Bub wrote:
Jlien X wrote:But one member of this forum who spends much more time in creating music than you and uses S1 as his main daw said recently he uses Sonar for its "rich MIDI" so you can't just laugh, I guess...


And another former member of this forum who is no longer with us, and was the most respected member of Sonar's forum that there ever was, switched to Studio One, and he was strictly a midi user.

It's possible he didn't like something else about Sonar (X1/X2). Instability, broken color customization, big fat console, etc. I can understand that.


The point is, there are people far more objective, that have a greater working knowledge of midi than anyone in this thread, that happily have made the switch to Studio One from Sonar and were not hindered by the differences in midi functionality between the two programs.
"I'd rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue than spend one more minute with you."
hibidy
Presonoid

Joined: 01/02/2011 09:13:29
Messages: 2320
Offline

Jlien X wrote:But one member of this forum who spends much more time in creating music than you and uses S1 as his main daw said recently he uses Sonar for its "rich MIDI" so you can't just laugh, I guess...


You spend all your time trolling about sonar, I hardly ever post here, why would you assume I don't make music?

New computer:

2.6.2/win7x64 ultimate/SSD os and library/i7 4770/16GB ram

Focusrite saffire 14/Novation impulse 49/tons of VST goodies

Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

Bub wrote:
Jlien X wrote:
Bub wrote:
Jlien X wrote:But one member of this forum who spends much more time in creating music than you and uses S1 as his main daw said recently he uses Sonar for its "rich MIDI" so you can't just laugh, I guess...


And another former member of this forum who is no longer with us, and was the most respected member of Sonar's forum that there ever was, switched to Studio One, and he was strictly a midi user.

It's possible he didn't like something else about Sonar (X1/X2). Instability, broken color customization, big fat console, etc. I can understand that.


The point is, there are people far more objective, that have a greater working knowledge of midi than anyone in this thread, that happily have made the switch to Studio One from Sonar and were not hindered by the differences in midi functionality between the two programs.
I know your point. But since you didn't specifically mention what he liked about S1 in terms of MIDI (unlike me and a few other current Sonar+S1 users who specifically gave some examples in the previous page), I only gave you the possibility he liked something else about S1. Wish he could come back and explain, because I like learning new things. I talk about features in Sonar because those who don't know about them might find it informative, just like I find posts talking about features in other daws informative.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/10/2013 04:05:35

PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

hibidy wrote:
Jlien X wrote:But one member of this forum who spends much more time in creating music than you and uses S1 as his main daw said recently he uses Sonar for its "rich MIDI" so you can't just laugh, I guess...


You spend all your time trolling about sonar, I hardly ever post here, why would you assume I don't make music?

Your post count in KVR. 36249 posts since Dec 2005.
PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/10/2013 04:05:10

PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
trusampler
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Joined: 07/07/2013 20:57:25
Messages: 83
Offline

That's only roughly around 12 posts a day (everyday) in an 8 year span.Dedicated to the craft and browses internet for answers, nothing really wrong about that.

At Kvr it's pretty easy to do that,being there's a ton of different audio stuff going on.

Take it easy, this thread shouldn't derail from the topic into some sort of personal beef amongst producers,artists or daw freaks.

I say let the best daw win, and clearly we all win, when that happens.
Daws: Pro Tools 11/Logic X Pro/Studio One2/Cubase7
Tools:MPC Ren/Maschine MK2/Nektar 61/Samples+Vst's
Cpu: MacOS/Pc 4.15Ghz Intel Core I7 12gb 1730mhz
Hardware: UA Apollo/Apogee Rosetta 200/DynAudio Bm5a/Sm7b/GAP73/Faderport



Note: If you don't like what's being said, you have the right to walk away chances are it wasn't intended for you anyway.
Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

trusampler wrote:That's only roughly around 12 posts a day (everyday) in an 8 year span.Dedicated to the craft and browses internet for answers, nothing really wrong about that.

At Kvr it's pretty easy to do that,being there's a ton of different audio stuff going on.

Take it easy, this thread shouldn't derail from the topic into some sort of personal beef amongst producers,artists or daw freaks.

I say let the best daw win, and clearly we all win, when that happens.
Thanks. I don't want the thread to derail from the topic either. Let's be more specific about what we say and don't laugh at another poster's opinion even if we disagree with it.
PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
hibidy
Presonoid

Joined: 01/02/2011 09:13:29
Messages: 2320
Offline

Jlien X wrote:
hibidy wrote:
Jlien X wrote:But one member of this forum who spends much more time in creating music than you and uses S1 as his main daw said recently he uses Sonar for its "rich MIDI" so you can't just laugh, I guess...


You spend all your time trolling about sonar, I hardly ever post here, why would you assume I don't make music?

Your post count in KVR. 36249 posts since Dec 2005.


So in other words, you are a bitter person who just wants to get ever with others, by any means possible. Got it.
New computer:

2.6.2/win7x64 ultimate/SSD os and library/i7 4770/16GB ram

Focusrite saffire 14/Novation impulse 49/tons of VST goodies

hibidy
Presonoid

Joined: 01/02/2011 09:13:29
Messages: 2320
Offline

Jlien X wrote:
trusampler wrote:That's only roughly around 12 posts a day (everyday) in an 8 year span.Dedicated to the craft and browses internet for answers, nothing really wrong about that.

At Kvr it's pretty easy to do that,being there's a ton of different audio stuff going on.

Take it easy, this thread shouldn't derail from the topic into some sort of personal beef amongst producers,artists or daw freaks.

I say let the best daw win, and clearly we all win, when that happens.
Thanks. I don't want the thread to derail from the topic either. Let's be more specific about what we say and don't laugh at another poster's opinion even if we disagree with it.


You mean unlike you? Just remember who is the one who CANNOT STAND to hear anything negative about sonar and started calling people names that don't agree with you.

Anyways, out again. I do not understand why people think midi is so weak in S1, that's how this started.
New computer:

2.6.2/win7x64 ultimate/SSD os and library/i7 4770/16GB ram

Focusrite saffire 14/Novation impulse 49/tons of VST goodies

Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

hibidy wrote:
Jlien X wrote:
trusampler wrote:That's only roughly around 12 posts a day (everyday) in an 8 year span.Dedicated to the craft and browses internet for answers, nothing really wrong about that.

At Kvr it's pretty easy to do that,being there's a ton of different audio stuff going on.

Take it easy, this thread shouldn't derail from the topic into some sort of personal beef amongst producers,artists or daw freaks.

I say let the best daw win, and clearly we all win, when that happens.
Thanks. I don't want the thread to derail from the topic either. Let's be more specific about what we say and don't laugh at another poster's opinion even if we disagree with it.


You mean unlike you? Just remember who is the one who CANNOT STAND to hear anything negative about sonar and started calling people names that don't agree with you.


A thread for you.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-getting-trashed-on-KVR-m2875006.aspx

There was also another thread in the Sonar forum, which was originally called "X3 bad impression" where everyone except me and another poster couldn't stand to hear anything negative about Sonar, and the thread was renamed "Questions about Gibson and SONAR X3" and locked by the moderator. Unfortunately, it seems the page is no longer visible on the web.

So I think you have a wrong perception.

No more derail, I hope.


PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
Jlien X
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 21/03/2013 13:02:31
Messages: 476
Location: Tokyo
Offline

To clarify, I only show disagreement or give advice in Sonar threads in S1 forums or KVR when someone posts a very biased comment like "I only used Sonar for 10 minutes and it couldn't even play a single audio track properly" or "As for MIDI, S1 can do everything Sonar can do." When I see posts like these I can't help thinking "Hmmm...maybe he didn't properly set up the audio in Preferences" or "Maybe he doesn't know these features in Sonar..." so I reply and advice like "Did you contact support or post your issues in the forum?" or "Do you know Sonar can do these things..." and then someone mistakenly thinks I don't like to hear any negative things about Sonar.

If someone pointed out the following weaknesses and inconveniences in Sonar in comparison to S1, I would DEFINITELY agree:

- Timestretching takes several steps and the result is inferior to that of S1.
- Take Lanes (track layers) can't be as slim as regular tracks.
- Take Lanes can't hide muted MIDI clips or MIDI clips on muted lanes when they are collapsed (how inconvenient...).
- You have to have two monitors if you want to make a single tabbed plugin window (Track View in one monitor and MultiDock in the other)
- To change a project name, you have to save it as a new project.
- You can't assign shortcut keys to marker positions.
- The Pick Tracks drop-down list in the piano roll view unnecessarily shows audio tracks.
- The width of track strips in the Console view is unnecessarily wide (when it's in Wide mode).
- When you launch Sonar and open a project, sometimes you notice Sonar has lost its connection with your MIDI keyboard controller (and mine is Roland's A-800Pro) so you have to set up the connection again.
- ACT implementation isn't as good as Control Link in S1.

There must be more but I don't bother trying to remember them now.

Thanks
PC: ProBook 4710s, Core2 Duo CPU T9600 @2.80GHz, 8GB RAM
OS: Windows 7 Professional (Japanese) 64-bit SP1
Audio/MIDI: Quad-Capture (interface), A-800PRO (keyboard controller)
DAW: Studio One Producer 2.6.2 (64-bit), SONAR X3e (64-bit)
jackdiedtoday@gmail.com
Prenoob

Joined: 26/09/2013 07:01:31
Messages: 3
Offline

Jlien X wrote:Are you the same Jackdied who makes great posts in the Sonar forum? I still remember and like this one you posted sometime ago:


Yes it's me.
Bub
Presonic
[Avatar]

Joined: 28/08/2013 22:12:35
Messages: 468
Location: Peculiar, MO
Offline

hibidy wrote:Anyways, out again. I do not understand why people think midi is so weak in S1, that's how this started.


Yeah, it's getting reminiscent of the old days and the reason why I stopped posting over there.

As for the weakness in Studio One regarding midi ... there are none. People may have a preference as to how they like to work, but there is nothing in Studio One that is so radically different than any other DAW out there that you can't get done what you want/need to get done. And the reality is, the people who are complaining have wasted far more time coming on the forums to complain about it, than they would have by clicking their mouse button one extra time to do what they need to get done on their music.

What we've been seeing here should be brought up as feature requests, and not talking points to bash one DAW and make another one look superior. The reality is, if enough people request the things they want, I'm certain Presonus would react. But just like every other company out there, if one or two people come on a forum and complain about a handful of very specific workflow differences, they are going to be ignored. And if they have put in feature requests and nothing ever comes of it, it's because not enough people want the change and the developers don't have the time or money to cater to a few people.

I've never cared about workflow differences to be honest. Focusing on that stuff distracts from the real issues at hand, and those are stability. I could give two ***ts less about how I selected the view of multiple tracks in the PRV in Sonar, but what I did care about is how 75% of the time I would have unexpected simultaneous multi-synth output when playing via my keyboard or editing in PRV, Snap not working in PRV. You know, things that are broken. I pulled up X2 the other day and was pecking around in PRV solely because of these midi threads and to see if there was something I missed that I just wasn't getting. A fresh project, 1 midi track and Rapture. I sat there watching the frickin' Snap setting buttons flashing, turning themselves on and off like little blinking Christmas lights. Come on man, wtf? That's the stuff that upsets me, not the things that actually do work that are different.

I think people need to start demanding that the product does what the developers say it will do, rather than sit here arguing about the differences between the functionality of the programs. Speaking solely for myself, the only reason I'm here is because of stability and everything else is secondary.
"I'd rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue than spend one more minute with you."
dgkenney
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Joined: 20/10/2011 04:33:34
Messages: 1111
Location: California
Offline

trusampler wrote:That's only roughly around 12 posts a day (everyday) in an 8 year span.


According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition, anything over 8 post per day @ kvr is questionable.

Doubly so if it involves cats and/or bitwig

Just sayin'

Dan
All the cool kids hang out in the middle of their meters, you should too.

S1/2 Pro
***Lenovo i5 @ 3.1ghz running Windows 8.1 x64 with Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, SD-PEX30009
*** Levono E520 with SYBA SD-EXPC34-2F 1394A Firewire 2-Port ExpressCard *** Win 7 64 Pro
*** Firestudio Mobile
*** Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2
*** Digidesign Eleven Rack, PT 10
Sold my PTHD system to someone who didn't mind paying $8000 for an upgrade to 11
 
Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: